Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Suspected Fluid flywheel trouble

B RAMANNA

Suspected Fluid flywheel trouble

Post by B RAMANNA »

Last 8 eight years My consort ran well and participated in many rallies.

Since past few weeks the engine raises while in Neutral but when engaged to Ist GEAR THE ENGINE Does not raise and stalls or moves very slowly with jerks. I have followed all instruction indicated in the manual - Daimler Epicyclic Gearbox and Owners manual. This has not improved the situation.
I presumed the fly wheel needed top up. When I looked for the recommended 30 grade oils found they do not make it any more in India. They make only multi grade oils. In the engine I use Mobil 20 - 60. I topped up the flywheel with this oil. The situation has not improved.

I am at a loss for further ideas. Does the viscosity of the oil play a role.? If so what oil should I use. Will the automatic gearbox/ power streeing fluid make any difference?

Or is there any mechanical adjustment i have missed?
Looking forward for a solution
Ramanna.
Bangalore
India

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Suspected Fluid flywheel trouble

Post by theoldman »

Hi Ramanna,

Does this happen in all gears or just 1st?

Cheers
Neil
Normal for Norfolk

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, are you sure that the Handbrake is not on? This is what happens when you raise the revs with car in gear with brake on. I know from bitter experience !!

Cheers A'l

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

An S.A.E. 30 multigrade engine oil is adequate for the fluid flywheel. Do not use a thicker oil.

When you say the engine either stalls or the car moves off "in jerks" in first gear suggests a gearbox problem - not the fluid flywheel.

Does the car move off O.K. in all other gears? (All Daimlers with epicyclic gearboxes will pull away in any gear - but it is a practice to be avoided as it can overheat the oil in the fluid flywheel - so just limit it to a test procedure).

To test the fluid flywheel - select and depress the gear-change pedal in each gear in turn, and holding the brakes on hard, progressively depress the accelerator - when the engine should stall out at about 900 - 1000 r.p.m.

This will test each gear is selecting and engaging and the brake bands are o.k and correctly adjusted.

However, DO NOT prolong the "stalling out" test - otherwise it will generate considerable heat in the fluid flywheel.

Let us know how you get on.

B RAMANNA

Post by B RAMANNA »

This sluggish movement and engine stalling happens in all gears.
I plan to drain the fly wheel rinse it out with diesel oil let it drain out overnight and fill up with 5W 30( Valvoline or Suzuki) . Trust this is right grade oil as it is available in locally. SAE 30 is not marketed here.
Is this OK? Please write if anything else can be done.
May be because the engine was run for some time the oil in the fluid fly wheel got churned and got mixed with the residual old oil inside the performance (when i tried to move the car) appeared a little better than before both in first and reverse gears.
Thanks for the response and look forward for suggestions.
Ramanna / matilar@gmail.com

B RAMANNA

Post by B RAMANNA »

I wish it was a hand brake issue.
The fluid fly wheel needed top up and I did it using thick multi grade mobil 20/60 oil (almost 600 ml went in before overflow) and created a problem for my self.
perhaps the viscous oil does not create enough torc
Ramanna

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

If you've put the wrong oil in (i.e. a thick oil) I suggest you drain and refil with parrafin or white spirit etc. by running the engine in neutral for a few minutes to flush out - then drain and give it plenty of time to dry out (what's the temperature in India at the moment!!) before replenishing with the correct oil.

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Ramanna,

Once you have drained, flushed and refilled with the lower viscosity oil (5W 30 should be ok - I have actually driven a Daimler for 150 miles with - unknowingly - ATF in the flywheel with no ill effectl!!)) give the car a static test on the gearbox.

Jack up one rear wheel and select each gear in turn to ensure the when turns freely and with no "jerking" with the revs at a fast tickover. (1000 - 1200rpm - ish)

Then do Stan's test with all wheels on the ground.

Do let us know your progress.

Neil
Normal for Norfolk

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, forgive me if I’m wrong, but surely a 20/60 grade oil is a 20 grade , we have had prolonged discussions on this subject in the past.
The “ 60 “ part only applies when the oil has reached normal working temperature,and means that one would need a “Straight” 60 grade of oil to duplicate the viscosity at the same temperature.
So what I’m trying to say is, that a 20/60 grade oil would have absolutely no detrimental effect at all .

Cheers A’l :D :D

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

Chaps, I think this thread may have taken the wrong direction. The symptoms described certainly don’t sound like fluid flywheel problems; far more like a gearbox problem. The reason I say that is lack of oil in the FF typically results in slippage and over revving of the engine, but shouldn’t cause a jerky action in the transmission. The jerking may well be caused by the brake bands failing to grip tightly enough, thus requiring some adjustment. Just a thought.
Steve