Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Clayton Dewandre Servo

Keith Herkes

Clayton Dewandre Servo

Post by Keith Herkes »

Hello Daimler/Lanchester owners from an M.G. owner.
I have a 1930 M.G. 18/80 MKII, of which some were factory fitted with a Clayton Dewandre servo and some were not. Unfortunately mine was not and in todays traffic conditions I would like to retro fit one to give me a bit more safety on the roads from the idiot drivers who think it is clever to overtake and take my breaking distance.
I know that some Daimlers were fitted with the Dewandre C5 servo, but were any fitted with the Dewandre JS5/125R, series 2805.
This is what I refer to as a 'floating unit' as it is not directly bolted to the chassis, but is integral with the various brake rods and in effect suspended within the mechanism.
Can any body help with information or the possible whereabouts of a unit I could purchase.
Thank you in advance. Keith Herkes.
PS should I post this separately on the Lanchester board?

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Clayton Dewandre Servo

Post by Stan Thomas »

Hi kieth,

Most Dailmlers around the late twenties to early thirties up to the advent of fitting hydraulic brakes had a Clayton Dewndre servo - but I've never encountered one actually "suspended" as part of the moving parts of the brake rods. Does anyone know differently?

I can send you a photocopy of the factory service book for a type "C" if it will help.

Stan Thomas.

Keith Herkes

Post by Keith Herkes »

Hello Stan,
Thanks for your response. My 18/80 MKI has a C5 factory CD servo fitted and thankfully I am now quite conversant with its repair and maintenance. Ironically, the MKI has a relatively light weight chassis, whilst the MKII is substantially heavier, but didn't have the servo fitted as standard. Attached photos are from a friends car in which you can see that it is attached to the brake linkages , but not to the chassis.
Thanks Keith
Attachments
187.jpg
184.jpg
186.jpg
173.JPG

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Hi Kieth,

I've not seen that type on a Daimler - although I agree it Is "suspended" on the brake rod mechanism - but perhaps some of the other knowledgable Daimler owners can advise otherwise!

I wonder if Clayton offered it has some form of universal kit - which the M.G. factory fitted as an option. If there is such a publication as a parts catalogue for the relevant chassis, it might throw up some light.

Keith Herkes

Post by Keith Herkes »

Sadly there is no mention in the parts list and only a 'passing mention' in the Manual. I presume M.G. bought the units in and relied on Clayton Dewandre's own parts and service manual for any queries/problems. The fact that the C5 was fitted to some Daimlers made me hope that the JS5/125R, series 2805 may also have been fitted to some Daimler/ Lanchester models around that time.
Keith

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

In response to your question as it relates to Lanchesters. My own car, a 1933 Lanchester 15/18 was also fitted with the chassis mounted C5 unit.
Clayton Dewandre Servo plate.JPG
Good luck in your search! Ranald

Keith Herkes

Post by Keith Herkes »

Thank you Ranald,
Yes, that C5 is the same as my MKI 18/80. and proves that it was fitted to both Lanchester and Daimler cars of that period.
Hoping that someone on this forum may recognise the JS5/125R, series 2805.
Attached is the only factory record I have of it.
Keith
Attachments
S45C-512120813151.jpg