Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Conquest preselect query

BigJAK

Conquest preselect query

Post by BigJAK »

Does any one know if the change pedal on a pre-selective box be converted to hand operation?
I am a left leg amputee and I am getting a Conquest Century passed to me by a family member.
Thanks.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Conquest preselect query

Post by Phillmore »

I can't see any reason why it couldn't be converted for manual use or even used with the right foot as it won't be used in conjunction with any other pedal (there is a hand throttle if extra revs are needed for down changes).
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Not sure if this helps, but there was a conquest around a while back which I believe had manual operation. It was owned previously by barbara wood house of dog training fame.

It was in the ownership of robin brown, but sold by his brother chris.

Maybe someone knows where it landed, as this could provide the pattern.

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

CAR WAS SOLD AT Kings Lynn finished up Manchester way eventually think it is this one, but was sold by a dealer so where now .
Attachments
CONQUEST CFM.jpg

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

I actually drove a hand gear change Conquest many years ago, which belonged to a chap who was also a left leg amputee, so I know it can be done (as it was in the Woodhouse car mentioned below). It was wrked by a "gearstick" coing out of the floor.

Alternatively, you could attach (clamp?) a lever to the steering column with a rod to connect to the actual gearchange pedal. This would be easier to design and attach.

I think, Jack, you need to seek out someone with a bit of engineering savvy. or maybe even a blacksmith?
Cheers

Neil

Normal for Norfolk

BigJAK

Post by BigJAK »

Thanks all.

BigJAK

Post by BigJAK »

Hi, I have come back to this and can’t get onto the old forum. Is there a way to copy the content?

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Unfortunately the old forum search function and opening links like those above used to require logging in for the Cars and Parts for sale, and no new members can register, BUT

EDIT I've just made the old forum Cars and Parts forum visible to all visitors, not just members, so you should be able to open the links above.

If you still can't open the links above, open the old forum at http://archive.dloc.co.uk/forum/default.asp , set the text in the right box to "Show all topics" and look for a topic by Dobbin on 26 January 2016 in Cars and parts for sale, last post 27 January 2016.

Another topic by theoldman dated 8 April 2015 of Cars and parts for sale page 32, last post 14 July 2015.

Another topic by Chrisb 2 January 2015 in Cars and parts for sale page 49, last post 8 March 2015.

BigJAK

Post by BigJAK »

Thanks. Many of the links are too old but there was a little more info.