Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

1935 Daimler 15 DHC window winder/regulator mechanism

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: 1935 Daimler 15 DHC window winder/regulator mechanism

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, here are some pictures that I took this morning of the Window Winder ( only One I’m afraid ) .
I’m sure that it is one from the Drivers Side ( O/side) , it was/ is a bit rusty but it does work ok .
Take a l@@k and see what you think ?
C7DA4F15-078F-4B12-B4BB-230F31054764.jpeg
545E81FE-C2AC-44BE-8837-020481CDC558.jpeg
8286A061-0A52-4855-912D-8A2FFE9B7DB6.jpeg
764731E9-195B-48FC-A8CF-0C6815FF307E.jpeg
Arm is 29 mm between centres
Mounting Plate 38 mm long

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

That looks a whole lot different to mine Bob.
This is a scissor lift type, absolutely sure that's not original spec.
The passenger doors all have the same lifter as shown in the original first pictures. It works well with even the shorter handles as gearing seems quite low. The quick lift on the front drivers window was incredibly hard to lift and subsequently the handle, which is about one and a half times the length of the standard handles, snapped in half and is currently being recast by Marcel.
As a result I had the door stripped out and renewed all the runner felts and made a few adjustments with some thin slivers of wood to position the felt track better and it now glides very easily, especially going down. This is however a different looking device as it has a holding ratchet so the glass can be stopped at any position and held securely. I'm loathe to take it all to bits again to photograph it though, sorry.
Let us know how you get on at the end.
My glass is 5.0 mm. Local glazier tells me this is now getting very hard to source in. 6.0 mm though is way too thick and jams in the slides.
My Armstrong Siddeley though has 6.00 mm or thicker on all windows but it's a different track for the felts and I've had to use thin felt strip to refine them.
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

bop

Post by bop »

A large glass of wine makes decision making easy, though I may not agree with my myself in the morning. :D . My winder arm is about 38cm long
5.jpg
If I need to add at least another 5.5cm, that would make it approx. 43cm long. If I used your mechanism Alan (did I get the spelling correct this time), I would have to add 14cm to the lift arm and to its companion on the track. Doable yes, but now I am concerned the slots (for the rollers on the tips of the scissor) on the glass holder may now not be long enough to allow full movement up/down. I want to thank you Alan for the photos and for your time. I think for now I will play with extending my mechanism arms, until I stumble upon the correct winder.
Peter your input was very helpfully in making this decision, thanks!
Bob
p.s. still looking for 1 longer handle and a pair of winder mechanisms.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Rob, pleased to have been able to try and help, really didn’t want to part with the one I’ve got anyway, as I might need it one day for my own car !,

Cheers A’l :D :mrgreen: