Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

1935 Daimler 15 DHC window winder/regulator mechanism

bop

1935 Daimler 15 DHC window winder/regulator mechanism

Post by bop »

The door window winder/regulator on my Mulliner bodied car (which I am presently restoring) did not work without a fair amount of assistance by pulling up on the glass as one turned the regulator handle. I am quite sure someone changed some parts over the years, the first clue being the relocation of the regulator handle. Evident in following photos
1.jpg
2.jpg
The second clue of course is the regulator being hard to turn. The glass is tight in the track and could be lubricated, but before I mess with the track I would like to make sure the rest of the mechanism is correct. Here is a photo of the mechanism.
3.JPG
Can anyone tell me if this setup appears correct? If not, what parts are not correct? A photo of a correctly operating system would be appreciated.
Lastly, what regulator hole in the door panel would be the correct one?
thanks Bob

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: 1935 Daimler 15 DHC window winder/regulator mechanism

Post by Petelang »

Hi Bob.
I have had my Daimler Fifteen doors to bits recently. My car is a 1934 saloon and the drivers window is fitted with a "quick lift" winder (brilliant innovation) that closes the window in one arc of the handle of just 60 degrees or less. This requires a longer handle however to get the needed leverage.
First thing I would check is if the glass has been replaced by new at some time as the original (I think) 4.00 mm glass is hard to find nowadays and it may be that it has been substituted for a 6.0 mm which would make it tight in the felt runners. Also there should be a little bit of lateral play so the glass is not tight in the width confine of the door glass aperture.
Your regulator looks somewhat dissimilar to mine, afraid I omitted to take photos so cannot show you but I know mine are very similar to those you can see on the following page at vintage car parts.
https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/searc ... +regulator
The regulator was fitted inboard of the wood panel above your regulator (I.e: within the door) which leads me to think that yours has been changed or molested in some way. Of course, not all cars were fitted with the quick lift version.
The felt channel runners you can also get from vintagecarparts.
It would suggest the other hole was the original and the vertical brackets are a new innovation.
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

bop

Post by bop »

Hi Peter,
Just went out and checked both door glass. They seem to be just under 6mm. I agree that the upper holes in the panel are original ones.
The vintagecarparts regulator seems to have about the same arm length as mine. So maybe I will modify mine. I do not like the present single lift point on the glass so maybe I'll try to make a scissor lift system. Guess this is another part of the project that will go on hold for awhile until I decide on which way to go.
Thanks for your help
Bob

bop

Post by bop »

Hi Peter,
I had a closer look again at the inner door panel (1st photo) and noticed the arc mark centered around the top winder hole on the leather panel. Drivers door has similar markings but not as pronounced. Is the quick lift handle long enough to have made these marks? Do you have any photos of your handle?
Bob

bop

Post by bop »

Hi Peter
Marcel sent me a photo of your crank handle. It is too long to have made the arc marks. I was digging through some boxes of parts and came across these crank handles
1.JPG
the longer one seems to be correct!
2.JPG
Now all I need is to find a second handle and 2 winding mechanisms (ones on car are not square shaft). If anyone has some for sale please let me know!!!
Bob

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi I have a pair of Front winding mechanisms, from a Lanchester Eleven, if you are interested please let me know, I will take some photos when I get the chance.

Cheers A'l :D :D

bop

Post by bop »

Hi Allen,
Photos would be nice. I would appreciate it even more if you could provide some measurements. My car is a 2 door so I assume the winder/regulator arm is longer than on a 4 door. I wonder if I welding a piece onto the arm to make longer would work, if it is too short?
Bob

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Bob I am sure the door handles on my 15 four door are made from Mazac (think that the right spelling) metal which will just melt away if you try to weld it.

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

I think the arm is the arm between the winder mechanism and the channel the glass is fitted to. It would need to be longer on a two door window but it does sound possible as these are just flat steel bar. It's shown in the third of the first 3 photos on this topic, behind the door card.

bop

Post by bop »

Sorry for the confusion. I was talking about extending the arm that Simon described. After more snooping I found out that the winder mechanism appears to be from a 62 VW.
4.JPG
It would be nice to have a photo of an original winder in the door! I am not sure how much of the wood frame is correct in my door.
Bob