Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Conquest Coupe (power hood)

Geoff

Conquest Coupe (power hood)

Post by Geoff »

Can anyone tell me if I can buy a parts book for my DJ252. Thanks

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Conquest Coupe (power hood)

Post by HenryC »

Hi Geoff,

The Conquest Century MK1 parts book covers the DJ252 as well, it has its own section at the back.

If you need specific information, I may be able to scan the relevant pages for you.
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252

Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Hi Henry, can you answer a few questions please, I am trying to figure out the framework for the hood, would it be possible for you to photograph your car's hood (interior and exterior)to try to show me how it fits together. When it came to me it was off the car and in a really bad condition, I had to abandon the coupe for quite a time as I have also been working on a Barker and now that I have returned to the coupe I am trying to sort this out. I don't have a chrome finishing strip for the rear, wire/spring for the back of the hood or clips. Also what is your hood made from (is it mohair) the remnants of this one appear to be Everflex or something similar. Any help would be appreciated.

Geoff

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by HenryC »

Hi Geoff,

I haven't forgotten your request - hope to get on to it some time this week.
Cheers, Henry Curwen

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

Hi Geoff
I can`t answer your specific DJ252 questions, other than to comment on the hood material. When I got my Special Sports (1951) it had a tatty sort of plastic/Everflex hood. I initially assumed that this was a later cheap replacement of the original, but discussions with some of the guys in the DLOC revealed that Daimler did actually start using an Everflex-type material very early. It turned out that my tatty hood was original and it was used as a pattern for the replacement................and yes, the new hood is Everflex.
Cheers
Terry

Pendle

Post by Pendle »

Geoff,

I just wanted to add to Terry's comment. When I got my DJ252, I believe that the (very tatty) hood was original. The material was Everflex or similar.
Chris Young
1954 DJ 250
1954 DJ 252
1957 DJ 254
1952 DB18 Special Sports

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Gentlemen,
Just to add to the confusion, I believe that when my DE36 Allweather was new it had a black mohair hood which was replaced by Hoopers in 1952 with a claret Melloloid hood. That material is a self lined vinyl type material.
So while not original it was installed by the original coach builder when the car was taken in hand to prepare for Royal use in the Coronation year.
Cheers
Peter Grant

Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies, I have realised that the hood will have to be replaced with Everflex, just need one or two questions answering, hopefully Henry will be able to assist.

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by HenryC »

Will try to get the photos taken this weekend. :? :?

Hope it's not been holding you up.

My hood was replaced in Australia - not sure what material was used!
Cheers, Henry Curwen

Pendle

Post by Pendle »

Geoff,

I have appended 4 pre-restoration photos of the (tatty) hood on my car. These show distance measurements between the frame bows. Let me know if you need more information.
Attachments
photo 4.JPG
photo 4.JPG (30.77 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (37.38 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (40.27 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (38.8 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
Chris Young
1954 DJ 250
1954 DJ 252