Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

HELP with parts identification

swcoulthurst

HELP with parts identification

Post by swcoulthurst »

I have a complete running engine at last, for the restoration. Only thing is this has a switch of some description in the bottom hose to the radiator.

Question is whats it for. I assume a temp sensor but is it original.
If so what is it wired to ?

Not one on the other so I cant follow it.
coolant switch.jpg
Attachments
coolant switch2.jpg

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: HELP with parts identification

Post by HenryC »

Hi Stuart,

That's not a standard fitting. The bottom hose was originally a metal pipe with a couple of bends in it joined by rubber connectors to the water pump and radiator.

The fitting you show may have been used as a thermostat for a electric fan or possibly a anti frost heater for the water jacket?

Hope this helps.
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252

swcoulthurst

Post by swcoulthurst »

Cheers Henry.

I was thinking electric fan add on, but couldn't see how as it still has the original fan too.
At least this confirms my thoughts.

Cheers again..

Oh and have a great new year to everyone.

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

It's very similar in design to the heating element fitted on my Consort.
The wiring goes to a socket under the dash board. A cable was then used to plug in the the mains electricity supply.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Yes this is probably. “Bray” water heater for the cooling system, there was one fitted to my Lanchester when I acquired it , complete wtith a 5 Amp plug fitted.
I have often considered refitting it to keep the “ Old Girl” warm during the winter!

Cheers and a Very Happy New Year to you all , :D :D
Last edited by JT7196 on Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swcoulthurst

Post by swcoulthurst »

Thanks Alan.

You are spot on. I have looked up BRAY heater online and thats it.....Don't know how it works mind, or if any of the other wiring is there as its on a chassis only setup...

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, the Heater was just simply “Plumbed” into the bottom hose, seem to remember there was a Socket on the steering column and the lead was plugged into the mains(. 240 V )
I’ll dig it out when I get the chance, and put a picture of it on here .

Cheers A’l

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

My first SP came with a Bray heater, with the socket below the steering column. I did use it, it was capable of warming the engine very effectively, including the inlet manifold, so no choke required even in sub-zero weather. Extremely handy provided that you could park close to a mains socket. I'm surprised that something similar is not available now - it would reduce the need for a very rich mixture when starting on very cold mornings.

They're probably only of historical interest now; how many of us have to use our cars in severe winter weather? Although it would help if you live in northern Scotland and still want to use the car in the early spring or late autumn, or if you like to run the engine every few weeks in the winter to circulate the oil.

Cheers

Geoff