Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Nipple twisting !

Robdavies

Nipple twisting !

Post by Robdavies »

Hello gentle people,
I hope to get the wire wheels from my 15 shot blasted soon, the company can also powder coat them for an extra £20.
However talking to a couple of people they said powder should be avoided due to not being able to adjust the spoke nipples for tensioning/truing the wheel. So, what I'd like to ask the audience, powder coat, or paint ?

terryfrombury

Re: Nipple twisting !

Post by terryfrombury »

Kinky beast!!
I suppose my question would be, "Who would send a wheel to be painted/powder-coated/or whatever, if it were not already trued?"
If anyone out there could adjust a newly PAINTED wheel without damaging the paint, then please can you introduce me to him/her!
Sorry, but it sounds like a load of whatsits to me, Rob. Get the wheels set up properly, and then I can't see that the finish makes a difference. To adjust after that finish has been applied will spoil it, whatever it is.
Terry from Bury

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

For what is it worth, I had a set of wheels for an old Austin done 20 years ago, they were sand blasted and primed and I painted them with two pack, they have been fine and the last time I saw them as good as the day I painted them.

On the other hand my 15 has powder coated wheels which an earlier owner had done. When I first had the car, they looked fine and the finish is much better than my paint, but have gradually have started to show rust stains in the silver coating if they get wet, which I can remove but it is a pain.

So for me paint them.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

I suppose if spoke adjustments had to be made in the future a painted finish could be more easily touched up with a brush and enamel if required.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Robdavies

Post by Robdavies »

Hello, thanks for your thoughts, truing up will be done beforehand, they're not too bad anyway.
I was wondering more about later on. I've not used wire wheels before, my other cars have had moden wheels or 50s style "easy clean" type. Do they flex much when say cornering thus puting stress on the powder coating, which I assume is much more difficult to 'touch up' than spray paint. 🎨

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Yes that was my point Rob, subsequent 'touch ups' would be easier with paint I would have thought although I know little about powder coating.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Robdavies

Post by Robdavies »

Hiya Andy, I think that pretty much makes the case for painting, through out the rest of the car I have just used 5 coats of good quality marine enamel and oxide primer, for ease of maintenance, but as powder coating was offered I wondered maybe to try it.
I really like to have the scotch pad and paint pot touch up opption available whenever the need arises.
Anyway thanks for talking sense, all the best Rob.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi chaps, well all I can say is, I had the Wheels on my Lanchester Powder Coated way back in 1988 and they still look good.

Cheers a'l :D

Bud

Post by Bud »

So from what I am aware of concerning Powder Coating is that it is heat activated and melts to form a coating, ergo the oven. That being said any small scratches and minor chips can be flowed out with an industrial style heat gun or infrared heat source that can raise the heat to 350 + degrees f. around the effected ares.