Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Conquest pre selector gearbox oil

Soundmike

Re: Conquest pre selector gearbox oil

Post by Soundmike »

Has anyone tried "Running in " oil? It should do the trick.... "Millars" appear to do a 30 grade...

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Just use the cheapest - there's no advantage in spending lots of dosh on a quality "engine" oil fro the gearbox.

I use Witham's.
Neil
Normal for Norfolk

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

As Mark has said www.classic-oils.net at Bicester Heritage. The guy there really knows his stuff.
Personally, I invested in a drum of SAE30 from Morris Oils ordered online, very good value.
When you consider delivery costs just think that you'll get about 8 miles to a litre of fuel for £1.19 - so paying for delivery often makes much more sense than collecting it.
I've just had a Christmas job delivering parcels and how I hated us old car guys - drums of oil, tyres, a bonnet (!) and a full ladder rack for a Land Rover - we are mad!
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Noelex

Post by Noelex »

There's an old saying that oils a'nt oils and while the grammar is poor modern oils are vastly superior to that of 50 years ago. The trick however is understanding exactly what properties you need and why and whether brand X really has that magical zinc molebedinum slippage anti wear factor. Or not. I have used a very expensive full synthetic in my restored special sports diff. Why because when you have to have parts manufactured the cost of oil is a non issue. So I am using the oil recommended by the gear manufacturer who makes industrial gears for Australian mining companies that have worm drive gear boxes that run in extreme temperature. From memory a Shell 220. It's not readily available. But my gears are made like modern gears with nickel so much stronger. From my experience with engines and gear boxes change it regularly and use quality. Result: wear is almost eliminated.

Dave Glyde

Post by Dave Glyde »

I used Comma SAE 30 classic motor oil in my gearbox and fluid flywheel. Go to their website and enter postcode and tells all suppliers near you. Think it's about £17 5 litres. The website gave me 6 suppliers within about 2 miles of me.
Dave in Dartford
1948 DB18/2.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Thanks for everyone's input. I've decided to stick with Penrite Classic Light for the engine mainly due to the high zinc content and will go for Castrol XL30 for the gearbox. The fluid flywheel ( if I can get the @%$£* plug out) will be something cheaper!
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Just spent £288 on oil from Classic-oils and still worked out cheaper than my local stockist even with postage taken into account so thanks for recommendation.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

swcoulthurst

Post by swcoulthurst »

Just chucking in my two penneth...

Everyone seems to say SAE 30, but the owners manual states 10/30 for engine, gearbox and flywheel in both my manuals (mk1 and mk2). Should we not be using manufacturers specification ?

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Hmmm...........my owners manuals state SAE30...........................
Normal for Norfolk

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

It does say 10/30 on the engine oil filler plug.
Andy