Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Conquest pre selector gearbox oil

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Conquest pre selector gearbox oil

Post by Phillmore »

I know this has been covered before but I couldn't find it using the search facility. Time for an oil change so do I need a straight 30 grade or will a 20/50 be ok? Just thinking of any possible implications of anti-friction additives on the fourth gear 'clutch'.
Last edited by Phillmore on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Conquest pre selector gearbox oil

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Andy,
Straight 30 if you can, the same for the engine and also the fluid flywheel.
Cheers
Peter Grant

Crossley Stephenson

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

Penrite do a GB30 straight 30 grade; it's the only way to go for the gearbox and FF.Penrite 20w50 or Shelsley Light for the engine oil.

Cheers
Michael

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Use only a straight 30 grade in the gearbox as anything other might induce slipping bands, same in the flywheel - as a thinner viscosity could well incease coupling speed- although a multigrade would be fine in the engine.

Shop around on cost (try Silkolene or Halfords etc for the straight 30) as some oils just command a fancy price.

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

I`m not sure that Halfords do a straight 30 - I have a feeling that all their stuff is multigrade. However, I do know that Machine Mart do one - it`s that that`s in my fluid flywheel and gearbox.
Cheers
Terry

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Thanks all. I visited my local classic car oil supplier today (Holden's of Bromyard) and they have just stopped stocking Penrite oils due to import costs which is a shame as the GB30 sounded ideal and I use their Classic Light 20/60 for the engines. So that leaves Millers, Morris's or Castrol? I suppose ideally the straight 30 needs as few additives as possible to prevent any slipping.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Andy,
Your local agricultural merchant will be a favourite source of 30 grade.

Buy the cheapest you can get!!

Neil
Normal for Norfolk

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

I use Penrite Oils as well, I get them from Classic Oils:

https://www.classic-oils.net/All-Produc ... r/Penrite/

Mark

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Do you know what their carriage costs are Mark? I've been on the Penrite website and found another stockist near Droitwich (20 miles awayish) so awaiting reply to my email. Surprise of the day is that Penrite GB30 gearbox oil is actually a 20/60 multigrade although they do say it is suitable for epicyclic gearboxes.
Andy

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

I hadn't thought of ag suppliers Neil I'll give it a try.
Andy