Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler 15 hand brake

bop

Daimler 15 hand brake

Post by bop »

I am preparing to have parts sent to be chromed. I have managed to disassemble everything on the hand brake mechanism
1.JPG
except for the release button.
3.JPG
Is there a trick to disassemble the button or does one drive the knob (see below) though the handle with a punch?
2.JPG
There appears to be a bushing in the handle that prevents the knob end from passing through in normal use???
Any help would be appreciated
thanks
Bob

Robdavies

Re: Daimler 15 hand brake

Post by Robdavies »

Hi, I've just been working on the same part a short while ago, many of the parts such as this are pinned on, ie a metal peg is hammered in and soldered in place. They are little buggers to remove, but it depends on how you feel about things. One little point, the metal these cars are made from is quite superb and can be burnished to a high shine without choming, more like a nickel finish. A rub over with wd 40 keeps it happy and looking great. I have used this with the the gear and brake rods, hand brake and other parts, it looks terrific with the brass plaque polished up and saves a lot of trouble taking things apart and rebuilding them.
Might not be your solution, but just a thought, all the best Rob.

bop

Post by bop »

Thanks for the reply Rob.
I just finished talking on the phone with the people who may do my chroming, and he figures he should be able to do it with the button in place. If that is possible, it would sure make life easy. :) If the chroming is an issue I will give burnishing the part a try! I also had a question on the forum a while ago about disassembling the pram irons on my DHC for chroming. He figures that can also be done assembled, but won't know for sure until he sees them.
Bob

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

If the Chrome plating around the operating knob turns out to be unsuccessfu, you could always purchase an Aersol Can of “Chrome” Paint from Halfords and paint that area , probably used mainly on Brake Callipers

Cheers A’l :D

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Have seen that chrome paint and often wondered how well it works and how long it lasts, has any one any experience of the Halfords version?

bop

Post by bop »

It was chromed without taking it apart. Results were satisfactory, not perfect. Parts are put away but will try to post a better photo later.
7.jpg
Bob

captain bobo

Post by captain bobo »

Note for Syd's question. I have used Halford's chrome spray paint but only on small components. I spray a clear lacquer over the paint afterwards to improve its shine . The results aren't particularly good, hence only using it on small parts that aren't very visible such as door leather strap caps on the Daimler 15.
Best wishes, Dave B

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Yes don't expect chrome paint to look like chrome. For chrome read silver.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Thanks both, my bumpers on the 15 have been silver painted in the past and I cannot justify the expense of chroming at present so have repainted them, just wondering if the chrome spray would have done a better temporary job. Will try it out with Dave's idea.