Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Conquest oil filter change

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Conquest oil filter change

Post by Phillmore »

Both the handbook and manual suggest disconnecting the oil pressure switch, unbolting the adaptor plate and removing the whole assembly before removing the through bolt to gain access to the filter. Am I missing something here? Can't you just remove the through bolt with the whole assembly in situ?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Conquest oil filter change

Post by theoldman »

You can, Andy, but it's a b***er to do...............access is the problem.
Neil
Normal for Norfolk

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

I agree with Neil much easier to take off as a Unit. Have had many happy times under the car with oil running down my arms.

Dennis

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Ok thanks for the warnings. Will I need to get a new gasket for the adaptor plate then or do they normally survive? I have a similar set up on the A90 and I just remove the central bolt but it is a bit fiddly (and oily)! I suppose one advantage of doing it off the car is that you can prime (fill) the filter housing easier.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

It's only a thinnish paper gasket, Andy, I'm sure with a pair of scissors and a suitable punch, you will be able to fabricate one quiet easily.
Cheers
Neil
Normal for Norfolk

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Or you can fit a Flexolite spin-on filter adaptor and make the whole exercise achievable from above with the aid of a suitable filter removal tool? That is much easier to do with the filter body off the engine. The adaptor can even be painted with David Beales's excellent Daimler engine enamel in order to look less "modern".

I wouldn't go as far as to suggest a remote filter head however.

Cheers

Geoff

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

I have never done this conversion but several friends have and they all agree with Geoff that it is worthwhile.

Dennis

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

I'd have to agree with the spin on filter mod. Once done it makes oil changes easier and good quality filters are readily available from my local motor factors for very little money.