Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

XJ81 Braking system

Soundmike

XJ81 Braking system

Post by Soundmike »

Has anyone had experience of the braking system in the XJ81 Double Six. Mine has developed a problem with front brake balance, it pulls to the right under light braking but evens out with increased brake pressure. This model has electric boost with ABS and 2 pot front calipers. I have dismantled & cleaned the calipers, pads & rotors are in good condition, car has only traveled 63000Kms. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

qantasqf1

Re: XJ81 Braking system

Post by qantasqf1 »

If the callipers have been bled and the pistons arenโ€™t sticky then the left hand brake hose may need replacing.
Steve.

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

I am sure this is the problem. I had it on an Empress and, after trying everything else, noticed that when the brakes were applied the brake pipe on one side swelled up.

Dennis

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, all I can add to this is :-
Thank goodness for Rod Brakes ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

Cheers Aโ€™l :D

Rolf B.

Post by Rolf B. »

Years ago I have replaced all the old origin brake hoses of my Daimler Double Six 6.0 litre (XJ 81) with such from Goodridge, Type 1. Just look at https://www.goodridge.co.uk/ chapter Jaguar XJ 40 6.0L V12. With these hoses you will never have trouble, because they are made of steel-flex and the lining inside is made of Teflon.

Rolf B.
Attachments
goodridge type 1.JPG

Soundmike

Post by Soundmike »

Thanks Dennis & Steve. You were right on the nail! I should have checked the simple things first. I have had hose problems before with SP250 clutch line! Alan, rod & cable brakes work well enough on a DB18 but I don't think I would care for them with 2 tonnes, 313 horsepower at 250Kph! Rolf,I have had new hoses made up in conventional manner, if they last a further 20 years + that will see me out!
Thanks all and regards form NZ, Mike.