Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Shackle rear leaf suspension

pojanac

Shackle rear leaf suspension

Post by pojanac »

Hallo,
I am from Croatia and bought Daimler DB18 Sports Special by Barker 8 years ago. Now I am assembling rear axle and did not take a photo of the shackles position. When the spring is mounted shall shackles stay up or downward? In att two photos of shackles.

Thanks in advance for answers,

Rajko Hlanuda
Attachments
Shackle up .jpg
Shackle down.jpg

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Shackle rear leaf suspension

Post by Norfolk Lad »

There is a web site for the DB18 which will be of great help to you and lots of help on here from fellow owners, here is one link which shows what you are looking for.

the site https://www.db18.org/

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

The second photo is correct.
As Alan says, you'll find DB18.org website helpful.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

pojanac

Post by pojanac »

Hallo Alan and Graham,
Thank you for your answers. I was worrying when the shackle is down, the rear axle, now without load, is touching the chassis and as in first photo is not touching the chassis.
Nice greeting from Poljane (near Ičići which is near Opatija),
Rajko Hlanuda

clevitt

Post by clevitt »

Hi Rajko, the weight of the car body will give you clearance with the wheels on the ground. However, there should be a rubber buffer between the top of the chassis and the bottom of the axle tube. It is part of the axle check strap assembly- the metal hoops that you see in this photo.
image.jpeg
Chris

clevitt

Post by clevitt »

Second attempt to add the photo
image.jpeg

pojanac

Post by pojanac »

Hallo Chris,
The car is now un the wheels but axle is still touching chassis,
Rajko

Crossley Stephenson

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

No offence intended but what size wheels/tyres are fitted?

Michael

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

Hi Rajko
When I was putting my Special Sports back together I had exactly the same problem that you describe. In fact, I had the problem twice over!! First of all I had had the springs re-tempered, and the firm that did the work did not do it to the correct specification, so there was no way that I could get the springs and the axle anywhere near close together. After the springs were set up correctly I still had the difficulty you describe - bolting the axle to the springs without it touching the chassis. In the end I did not attempt to fit the rubbers and check straps that Chris describes. I simply put strips of thin rubber between the axle and the chassis, then bolted the axle to the springs - I`m not sure if that is really to be recommended, but - again as Chris says - when the body is on the car, then you get the clearance. With the body on I was able to fit the rubbers and the check straps. It also helps if the petrol tank is full and the spare wheel is in the boot!
Best of luck
Terry

pojanac

Post by pojanac »

Hallo,
Thanks Michael and Terry.
Without offence Michael, the tyres are Avon 6.00-16.
I think Terry and Chris solved my problem. I have just measured free camber of the springs: 17,5. The right nuber is 6,5" = 16,5 cm. Springs has re-tempered my friend and will do again on wednesday.

Kindest regards,

Rajko