Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

D15 - Universal joints.

Robdavies

D15 - Universal joints.

Post by Robdavies »

Hello, I need to replace the universal joints on the prop shaft of my old style Daimer 15 from 1937, mev spares have some for the DB18, 45-56.
Now I wouldn't have thought there'd be much difrence but does anyone know if they would fit ?
OK, I just measured them and it seems not, the DB 18 are cup diameter 2.382mm - joint diameter 6.130mm
Measuring the ones I have they are, cup diameter 2.718mm - joint diameter 7.450mm as best I can measure them.
Does anyone know where the right U/J for a 1937 15 can be found ? Universal thanks to all Rob.
Last edited by Robdavies on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: D15 - Universal joints.

Post by JT7196 »

Well the U/J’s on my LA11 are as far as I can remember the same as Triumph 2000’s.
The Daimler 15 Chassis is very similar So just maybe
, those may do the job.?
I will take a look in my spare parts cashe, to try and find you a part No
Cheers A’l :D :D

Robdavies

Post by Robdavies »

Hello,
Well having got my self all worked up yesterday, another couple of hours on the Internet has turned up what I hope is the fix.
They seem to be the same size as Land Rovers use and many older Jaguars too, thus with luck, problem sorted.

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

For what it's worth, the 1937 15 was originally fitted with K5-4 Hardy Spicer joints. The previous 15 used K5-3 joints which were a fairly common fitment in the middle 30s - Austin , Morris ,Standard 12. They have an overall length of 2 3/16" whereas the K5-4 is 2 3/4".

However, after the war, the DB18 (and the LD10, Alvis TA14, RM Riley, Rovers etc..) were all fitted with the K5-L4. This is the same size as the K5-4 but is fitted with a nipple for oil lubrication, SAE 140 or EP140 as previously written about.

As far as medium sized cars goes, it is almost a case of "one size fits all" and the only thing to watch out for, as I see it, is that it would seem slightly better value to buy the replacements with a nipple fitted rather than the sealed ones as, with a small amount of maintenance, they may never need replacing again !

(The DE27 and DE36 had a larger unit, 3 3/8" long, also fitted to the Austin A125 and A135, Rolls and Bentley 4 1/4s 1939-52)

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

FWIW, I’m a bit of an expert at fitting those UJ ‘s, just make sure that you de- burr the appareatures that they fit in, can be done very carefully with a large fine Half Round File,
Make sure that they are square when pressing in the first one, keep on pressing it in until the face of the Cap is well below the surface,
Fit Circlip, the Spigot of the UJ should be now a fair way into the opposite Bore, carefully fit the cap ensuring that you do not disturb any of the Roller Pins, and the press inthe Cap until the Circlip can be fitted, .
Repete this procedure for the other pair .
One thing to remember, if the joint suddenly goes tight before the second cap is fully home, it may well be that you have dislodged one of the Roller pins, if you carry on pressing the Cap into the Yoke, you may well crack one of the Caps, so it must be removed and the “errant Roller Pin replaced where it belongs .

Hope this helps , A’l :) :) :)

Robdavies

Post by Robdavies »

Sure does thanks very much. By the way, I'm a big fan of a touch of copper grease on bolt threads etc, helps keep things easy to undo, is there any case for putting some on the caps before fitting to ease reinstatement and removal?