Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Slipping "clutch" of 1938 E4

Beat Weibel

Slipping "clutch" of 1938 E4

Post by Beat Weibel »

Hello Daimler Experts

I recently test drove a 1938 E4 that I am interested in buying. Unfortunately, I had to stop the test drive after a few meters since the car didn't take up the torque of the engine properly. It felt like I was driving with a slipping clutch.

Of course I know that the E4 doesn´t have a clutch but our beloved fluid flywheel. Therefore my suspect was that the flywheel just lacks oil and that the seller should top it up properly with Castrol SAE 30.

My second and more severe suspect - if the topping up doesn't help - is that the pre-select gearbox is slipping which would unfortunately mean a complete refurbishment of the gearbox.

Do you have any other ideas of what the problem could be?

By the way the engine was running very smoothly and the gears engaged properly.

Best regards
Beat

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Re: Slipping "clutch" of 1938 E4

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

Most likely flywheel oil.
It would be unlikely that all gears would have failed and you should be able to pull off in any gear.
The only other things to stop it driving smoothly would be sticking brakes or a badly worn differential.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

To test the flywheel and the gearbox, perform a "lug-down" test.

Select every gear in turn, pumping the gearchange pedal about two dozen times for each.

Now with the engine at operating temperature, select and engage each gear in turn at tick-over, and with the footbrake FIRMLY applied, accelerate the engine. If all is correct, the engine speed should stall-out and not exceed about 900/1000 rev/min.

Try this in all gears except reverse. If the revs rise too much in all gears, suspect the flywheel for low or incorrect oil - but if it is only one gear, suspect the gearbox.

However - ensure you only test each gear momentarily, as you will be producing an abnormal amount of heat in the flywheel.

Let us know how you get on!

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Any news Beat, have you sorted the problem, if so just wondered what the cause of your problem was?

Beat Weibel

Post by Beat Weibel »

I am still waiting for feedback from the seller. If the car drives properly again, I plan to go for a test drive. I will keep you posted.
Best regards and many thanks for your advice
Beat