Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler 15 Rod brakes

Robdavies

Daimler 15 Rod brakes

Post by Robdavies »

Hello,
Sorting out the brakes on my 1937 15, full rod types.
One of the activaters or expanders, ie what would be called the cylinder on a hydraulic brake, is pretty knackered.
Looking around the Internet they seem very difficult to get hold of.
The usual route of parts shared with series1 land rovers or early Morgans/Austins etc doesn’t seem to help this time, anyone have any ideas ? I didn't realise mechanical / rod operated drum brakes were so hard to find parts for.
Thanks for your time, Rob.

Simon Hyslop

Re: Daimler 15 Rod brakes

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Is it the alloy casing that has problems? They're usually the only bit that reallly suffers. You might want to try Mike Couldry at Meteor Spares 0115 981 1222. The unit should be the same as P2 Rovers and he might have some spare. Alternatively, Blue Diamond might have some as again it's the same unit on pre war Rileys : 01823 490429. They were also used on the rear of RM Rileys but the RM club don't stock them and you need to be a member to buy from them.

Theo at Old Arley (used to be Available Austins) might have had some, the same unit is on Austin Cambridges and Ascots/New Ascots/Goodwoods 1935-39. 01676 542174.

I've been slightly surprised for several years that no-one seems to have felt the need to make these new which suggests that the second hand supply has been just capable of meeting the demand but broken studs, broken pieces generally and some really bad cases of corrosion do keep turning up on some cars while others seem to have soldiered on with no mishaps for their entire life.

Just in case you get offered any, the units used on Lanchester LD10s are the same as some Fords and are about 2/3rds of the size I think you need.

Robdavies

Post by Robdavies »

Hello Simon,
Thanks for the advice, very useful.
Yes the aluminium is a bit rough but it also has lost a stud so a replacement would be nice if not actually vital.
Do you mean the Lanchester ones are too small ?
I found a site called small ford spares which have a few that look the same, are these the 2/3rd size ones you mean ?
I've not got to the rear ones yet, are they the same as the front ?
As they say, there are more questions than answers, but the truth is out there somewhere.
I'm suprised they are so hard to find, as up till the 40s they were the norm, or so I thought.
Thanks for your time sir, Rob.

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Yes Rob, the Small Ford Spares ones look the same but are too small.
I can only tell you that pre war Austins, Rovers and Rileys use the same size units front and back, and the 2 x 1935 Lanchester 10s I owned/worked on also had the same front and back.
Decent casings do turn up but it's always the same, they're not around when you need them ! Maybe someone on here will cone up with some good used units for you.

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

I'll have a look Rob as I may have some from an old axle I bought. No use to me as I have hydraulic brakes.
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

Robdavies

Post by Robdavies »

Hello Peter,
Top man you are sir, if it is not too much trouble,
I would be most interested in buying them off you if they were the right type .
Regards Rob.

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

Hi Rob..
I had a rummage in the garage and have emailed you pictures via DLOC site.
I hope you can open them. Let me know if any good to you.
Best regards
Peter Langridge
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

Robdavies

Post by Robdavies »

Hello Peter,
Yes the photos came out fine, thanks for that.
I have sent you an email about them.
Cheers Rob.