Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Advice on preselect box

swcoulthurst

Advice on preselect box

Post by swcoulthurst »

Hi Guys.

Got engine up and running. Had sticking valves and 3 bent pushrods. Head refaced and valves sorted. Now its running I'm trying to sort gearbox selection. Basically reverse seems to be neutral and everything else (including neutral) appears to move forward. I've checked the linkage and that seems ok. Reverse on selector fully forward on the link, Top fully back on the link. New oil in the box. flywheel and engine.

Looked at the gearbox manual at adjusting. Not too clear to me (a mere novice). When adjusting should the engine be running ?
Oil everywhere if it is. What's the bit about neutral partially selecting first and reverse :o .
Do I only adjust the gears in question i.e neutral and reverse or do I have to do all ?
I have slackened off the locknut on reverse, adjusted as it says in the manual and pumped the clutch pedal as stated till the pull rod nut stops rotating....The pull rod nut doesn't rotate !

If there is an easy straightforward way I would love to hear it...

Cheers
Stuart

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Advice on preselect box

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Stuart take rod off at gearbox end select reverse by hand set quadrant to R then adjust rod to fit at gearbox end, adjusting box by pumping pedal in each gear think it is 20 times should adjust bands.
If they fail to move a little movement can be done with a spanner but they need to self adjust really, as the spanner can over adjust and cause you more problems.
Adjust without car running , only adjust with spanner turn one flat of adjuster to create movement if it is stuck then try pedal pumping, it may need no adjusting so take care .
Peter

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Hi Stuart,

If you email me on sleevevalve@mail.com I'll give you my landline number then I'll talk you through setting up the brake band and gear selection adjustment.

Stan Thomas.

swcoulthurst

Post by swcoulthurst »

Thanks for the advice.

I've checked the linkage in reverse and it appears to be ok. Disconnected the rod and put in reverse position by hand, Still no real movement, possibly just a little rearward motion but not enough to move the car.

i'll send you an email Stan and give you a call when im at the unit.

Are either of you at the NEC this weekend. I think Im going on Saturday. Would be good to catch up.

Thanks again
Stuart