Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

db18 empress rear window

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

db18 empress rear window

Post by Db n j »

In common with many Daimlers of this era, The Duke had a rotted-out rear window.

We have replaced the perspex with a correct glass panel, and new wooden frame to hold in place etc

I have remade the wooden panel which sits in front of the glass, (copied from the sad remains of the original), but cant really
understand how it attaches to the frame etc.

Appreciate any close-up pictures, especially if anyone has any "before" and "after" pics.

Thanks

db

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: db18 empress rear window

Post by Db n j »

Well, I stared at this window for so long, and without anyone able to offer quick help, I have
Made something up, and happy with the result.

Following bob frisby.s picture and dims I have made the speaker box that sits on the parcel shelf, so
Now waiting for a little more cloth to complete the parcel shelf and sides.

The next challenge is to remake the rear arm rests, for which I at least have a pattern, although it does
Look complicated.

My diary is free for the next 2 weeks, so I will crack on.

Btw, I have made contact with Jamie, who had a letter in the latest DM, as he has recently acquired a db18
Empress, with a poor interior. Maybe with my efforts, I can help. Let’s see.

Bob Frisby

Post by Bob Frisby »

Hi David,

I just yesterday tried to take a picture, and only got one of any use at all. It's probably pretty much the same as what you have already. I did look closely and it's a bit complex. One thing that seemed odd is that there is a distinct gap (maybe 1 1/2") between the finished wood window frame and the thin "mouse fur" panel (extension of the headliner). Looking down into this gap, one can see a horizontal black framing timber a couple of inches down.

Hope this helps a little. I'll try to come up with more info if needed.

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Bob,
Thanks, that confirms my theory, that there is a wooden filler panel. This was missing
On The Duke, and I can't remember it on
A wreck we looked at either.

I fabricated a frame from 20mm thick pine pine, hole matched to outer cover, then secured it to the sides, and top and bottom.

Quite a job ! Looks ok.

Don't worry about the pics, but as always appreciate your time.

Best regards