Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler DB18 Saloon kingpins

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Daimler DB18 Saloon kingpins

Post by Culbu »

Good evening,

Probably some one may help me. I have some difficulties to remove the kingpin assembly.

I first removed the secured pin on the side, then unscrewed the grease cap on the bottom and also unscrewed the grease filler on the top.
IMG_7042.jpeg
IMG_7043.jpeg
IMG_7041.jpeg
What is the next step please ? Should I use an hydraulic press to extract the central pin ? Must it be removed from the bottom or from the top of the kingpin ?

Kind regards,

Julian

terryfrombury

Re: Daimler DB18 Saloon kingpins

Post by terryfrombury »

Well, Julian, you are testing my memory now, but I would have said that you press the pin out from either end, unless some plonker in the past has messed things up!! Provided that the stub axle assembly swivels freely, then the only part that needs the pressure to move is where the kingpin is held in the vertical piece (whatever the correct name is!) which links the top and bottom transverse links, and since the swivel pin bushes in those top and bottom links should have been reamed to the same diameter - then the pin should go either way.

....et bonne chance de l`Angleterre!

Terry

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Hi Julian,
I’ve only did this 6 months ago but will check the detail with my friend who helped me.
As far as I remember. Our big problem was removing the cotter pin (the tapered retaining pin which is at right angles to the kingpin).
When taking off the bottom cap, do not lose the tiny hardened steel spacer.
As Terry has said I think it comes straight out without a press, I will confirm this tomorrow.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Culbu »

Thank you guys,

At least, now I know the name of the part which is at right angles to the kingpin ! This small part was definitely difficult to remove but it’s done. I didn’t see the tiny hardened steel spacer under the bottom cap but I will have a look more carefully !

I’m waiting for more informations Graham before to do anything...

Thanks and sorry if my English is sometimes inappropriate !

clevitt

Post by clevitt »

Julian,
I followed the procedure outlined in David Beales' DB18 Manual, when I replaced my king pins i.e new king pin installed from the bottom. I had the old King pins hydraulically pressed out by a local engineering workshop, so I don't know if they did it from top or bottom, but I do remember that they said they come out easily.
I would recommend buying the new King pins from David Beales as his come with new cotter pins, cork seals etc.
Both the king pin set and the workshop manual can be bought via David's EBay shop.
Chris

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Culbu »

Good evening Chris,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I already ordered the complete kingpin set to David Beales.

I own an hydraulic press so it's not a problem but I would like to use the correct procedure...

Anyway thank you.

Julian

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Hi Julian
I've just sent you 2 e-mails through the forum's system, I hope you have received them.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Culbu »

E-mails received and read ! Thank you very much.

I will let you know and if I'm in trouble, I will not hesitate to contact your friend.

Kind regards,

Julian

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Culbu »

Kingpins removed ! With the hydraulic press and all your advices, no difficulties !

Thank you guys.

Julian