Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Conquest front brake adjustment

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Conquest front brake adjustment

Post by Phillmore »

I have adjusted the near side by backing off both adjusters, tightening one until locked then back it off a bit and repeat with the other adjuster until wheel revolves without binding. On the off side I can't get the wheel not to bind even with both adjusters backed right off. Before dismantling the brakes what should I be looking for?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Conquest front brake adjustment

Post by Stan Thomas »

Thats a strange one! Could it be the shoes have displaced "sideways" and are rubbing on the inside edge of the drum?

Alternatively (which I doubt very much) could the linings be so worn the adjuster has gone right over somehow???

Or is one of the cylinders not retracting fully?

I suggest you get the drum off - when the fault should be quite obvious.

Keep us posted!!

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

The only other possibility I suppose is a collapsed flexible pipe keeping pressure on although I would have thought that would ease off after a while. It could be a bit of a game getting the drum off as well but I'll keep you posted.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

If it were an "hydraulics" problem - simply opening the bleed valve would release any residual pressure.

Take your point regarding removal of the drum as there is probably a unworn ridge around the edge of the drum. If all else fails -, can you unbolt the slave cylinders and remove as a comple assembly? Just a thought.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

I didn't get time to have a look in the end as other priorities got in the way as they often do. Hopefully get back to it sometime in the week.
Andy

CHRIS J

Post by CHRIS J »

Make sure the steady post are correctly adjusted, see manual re-assembling front brakes.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Thanks Chris, will do.
Andy

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Dismantled brakes today and all looked fine so backed off the steady posts and adjusted and readjusted the brakes. Voila! Steady posts must have been pushing the shoes out at an angle preventing proper adjustment. Thanks to all.
Andy