Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Window glass for Daimler 15

Robert Wells

Window glass for Daimler 15

Post by Robert Wells »

Does anyone know where I can get 5mm toughened glass with a rounded ('pencil') edge? The nearest I've found so far is 6mm with a rounded edge or 5mm with a chamfered edge. My 1935 Daimler 15 sports saloon, which I'm restoring from near-derelict condition, needs new side window glasses as the existing ones were horribly scratched with sandpaper by a previous owner, and I'd like to get them right if possible. Distance no object, within reason (I'm in Banbury).

Robert Wells

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Window glass for Daimler 15

Post by Sydsmith »

Robert, this chap "destroyed" a 15 and had a body and chassis for sale some time back, might still have the window glass.

ttp://stores.ebay.co.uk/classicvintagecarparts?_trksid=p2047675.l2563hap

I did try to communicate with him as he had a good dash board and mine is badly de-laminated, but he ignored my emails, but I think he is down your way somewhere. Syd

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

Robert, I have had a couple of glasses cut for my Daimler Fifteen, I just took the pattern to a local glazier and although he said 5mm glass is hard to get hold of now, he did come up with the goods. They say they can make any window and Polish/ shape edges.
I should just have a ring round your local suppliers.
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

Robert Wells

Post by Robert Wells »

Syd - the dismantled 15 was a very nice two door coupe, in better condition than mine but with different doors and windows. I had the spare wheel cover off it, just right for my sports saloon. I'm having my dashboard (curvy type, same as on the coupe) and door capping strips reveneered locally at the moment - price about £200. I'll let you know how it goes.

Pete - I can get 5mm glass OK, but not pencil-edge polished, though I can get that on 6mm. Pencil-edging on 5mm seems to be the problem. Who was your supplier? Looking at possibilities on the internet today I've tried Leicester Glass, who put me on to Lee Glass in Nottingham, who put me on to Ristes, who put me on to their supplier Grapevine Windscreens, whose man said he could do it. He's visiting me next week to give me a quote - but from what he said I suspect he's a middle-man and his price is going to be huge (Ristes restore Rolls Royces and suchlike).

Thank you both for your responses.

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

First one was from Grassmore Glass in Chesterfield. I was informed about them by Graham Butler who used them. They were quick, very reasonable price and did a good job. Sadly due to a little nib of rust in the channel it cracked a year later and I got one local from Lee Glass., took two attempts, took forever and a day and cost twice as much, however it's done the job.Try these guys:
http://www.grassmoorglass.co.uk/Contact.html
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

Robert Wells

Post by Robert Wells »

Thanks Peter. I've checked with Grassmoor Glass and they only do 4mm and 6mm, so no better than I can get locally. Since 5mm is available, though scarce, I'm going to keep trying. Presumably you got 6mm and have had no problem with the extra weight or thickness?

Robert