Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Starting problem Daimler New DHC

Beat Weibel

Starting problem Daimler New DHC

Post by Beat Weibel »

Hello Daimler experts:
Taking out my New DHC (VDV 413) after the winter break for the first time again, I experienced starting problems. Last summer the car started on the bottom and this was also true for last spring. However this year, I have to crank ten, twenty times until the engine very slowly and unwillingly fires. Not all cylinders seem to run from the beginning and I can only very cautiously open the throttle otherwise the engine would stall. After a few minutes the engine runs normally.

The car then drives smoothly and normally and I can start the warm engine without any further problem. However, a few days later with a cold engine, the problem is here again.

I do prime the fuel pump. Therefore, I don´t think it is lack of fuel. My suspects are (1) ignition and (2) choke or mixture. Ignition is less likely since when the engine is running it does run smoothly. The plugs look perfectly. I will check the choke on the weekend.

Any other suggestions?

Best regards
Beat

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Starting problem Daimler New DHC

Post by Salmons »

Hello Beat,

When I first bought my NDHC I had the same problem. I fitted new plugs and points and the problem was solved and did not return.

Best regards

Dennis

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Assuming you probably maintain the car well in any event - it is unlikely the ignition would give problems through standing - likewise the carburration. Before you do anything therefore, I suggest you try fresh fuel, as modern fuels "go off" after a period of time.

Then check the points gap.

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

I would also suggest the battery could be a problem. How old is it and what is the condition. Any drop off in volts etc at the start will contribute to poor starting.

If its an old battery, I would just replace it anyway.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

CDemler

Post by CDemler »

Hi Beat,
In the old days it was the golden rule to fill up the petrol tank before winter storage.
Nowadays it is the oposite.
Modern petrol gets useles after a couple of weeks in the petrol tank.
It also gets very agresive to the petrol pipes.
Next time you start the engine from cold try a bit of start pilot in the air filter.
If it the engine will fire up for a few seconds the problem is the petrol.
If not we have to think of something else.
A friend of mine tried to start his motor bike for several days till we completly changed the petrol in the tank.
By the way Iam just restoring 2 New DHC and 2 Roadsters.
Chris

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Beat,
What plugs are you using please?
Neil
Normal for Norfolk

Beat Weibel

Post by Beat Weibel »

Dear all
Thanks for your advice.
It looks like I have to check a lot over the weekend: plugs, carb, battery, fuel...
I´ll keep you posted
Best regards
Beat

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

Forgive me for wishing your new friend, Christian Demler all success with the restoration of his four cars! Hopes to see you in Holland in one of them.
Sadly I don't think anything translates back from the SP250 and good luck with the welding torch.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

When I first had my NDHC it had Champion plugs in it. Later on advice from Neil I fitted NGK BP635 after this in always started first time.

Dennis

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

BP6ES :D
Normal for Norfolk