Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Sat Nav in a Special Sport

terryfrombury

Sat Nav in a Special Sport

Post by terryfrombury »

Evening all.
I`m actually planning to get the SS out on the road a lot this year (especially if we have something that could truly be called a "Summer"!!!!), and I was wondering about fitting a Sat Nav. Before anyone starts on the caustic comments I have to say in my own defence that "she who must be obeyed" hates navigating, so the Sat Nav is one way of avoiding potential domestic conflict.
However, I`m sure that all Sat Navs are negative earth, and would be frazzled if connected positive earth. Consequently I wanted to beg advice from those of you who know more about vehicle electrics than I do - in other words, all of you!!! I was thinking of connecting a lighter socket directly from the battery (with an inline fuse) but wiring it so that the negative and positives go to the socket terminals that give the Sat Nav a negative earth. The question is - would that work?
Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Terry

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Sat Nav in a Special Sport

Post by Petelang »

Providing your socket is completely insulated clear of the metalwork of the car and properly fused, yes this would work. Connect the positive earth wire to the centre pin and a wire from fused negative to the casing. It would need to be enclosed in a wooden panel probably, sure you would be against "plastic" in an SS.
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

I did the same. I took a separate connection directly from the battery but I fused both positive and negative just to be safe!

I also wrapped the socket in a lot of tape so. that only the very end of the socket is exposed.

Crossley Stephenson

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

Why not convert to -Ve earth?

I have done this in my SS. The next owner can convert back if required.

Cheers
Michael

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

Thanks for the suggestion about changing polarity, Michael, but I`ve got positive earth electronic ignition system and solid state voltage regulator.
Thanks to Peter and John for confirming that my suggestion was workable. I've been fortunate in finding on Amazon a socket that is fully insulated apart from the visible rim of the internal sleeve, but with a cap to cover that when it`s not in use. It also comes with a fuse on the power feed. I`ll give it a go!!
I`m grateful as ever for the helpful response this forum generates.
Terry

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Terry,

The dash is wood, ie non-conductive, you can switch the earth just for the dashboard lighter.

When the Duke was rewired, this was done specifically to accommodate a satnav. A low value in line fuse was added for safety.

Not had much chance to try it on the road yet 😟

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Terry, yes I have fitted an auxiliary negative earth socket like yours in my Lanchester, for my Dash Cam, and of course my Sat Nav , also very useful for charging up my I-Phone or I-pad as well ! !

Cheers A’l :D