Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

More MOT queries

JDB

More MOT queries

Post by JDB »

Hi all, my DQ's MOT expires on the 10th of this month. If I discontinue driving it from that date and then recommence on the 20th without it being tested, will I be contravening any laws?
Cheers, JB

Simon Hyslop

Re: More MOT queries

Post by Simon Hyslop »

That's pretty much what I intend doing with mine. As far as I can see, you only need to make the MOT declaration when you licence the car.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

There is no legal obligation to have continuity of MOT testing, whether or not the vehicle is on SORN or is taxed.

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

Well, I seem to remember that when the rules were last changed, so that older cars no longer needed an MOT, there was quite a discussion on here (or its predecessor) about the positives and negatives. I was one of the negatives!
Why on earth do we not want to have our cars checked independently to ensure that they are roadworthy and that we have not missed anything? What are we afraid of - a £40 MOT fee?
I`m sure that insurance would be rendered invalid if a car were involved in an incident and was then found not to be roadworthy.
Last year I took my car to the MOT centre that I use, and had them check it over (a pre-MOT examination, as one of our colleagues on here described it!) - and I will do the same again this year. Sorry JB and Simon, but I`m being holier than thou!!! What`s the hassle about getting your car tested?? Is it not roadworthy?
Terry from Bury

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

I completely agree with Terry, doesn't matter how good you are another pair of eyes will often see something you've missed.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Yes me too, I have a mate who owns an MOT testing station, He gave my car the once over , and issued me with a vehicle examination report , cost me a “drink” !!

Cheers A’l :) :D

JDB

Post by JDB »

"What`s the hassle about getting your car tested?? Is it not roadworthy?"

That would very much depend on whose definition of roadworthy you are using; no impact absorbing bumpers, no crumple zones, no hazard warning lights, no collapsible steering column, a myriad of unyielding internal surfaces and often no seatbelts; your car may be tip-top but by modern standards is it roadworthy?

The MOT issue is mainly one of time (and also money, if I can save £40, that's much appreciated) and I may well get it checked over sometime in the next few months, it's more that I can leave it until it is convenient for me. The brakes work after a fashion and it is my belief that most of the important lights do too, so I may well soldier on...
JB

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

Some years ago one of my friends took his Majestic for an MOT. It passed but the young man who tested the car complained that when he put the car on the rolling road to test the brakes the front of the car rose up. He'd not learned about the anti dive suspension fitted to older cars.
Like some I wonder about the wisdom of allowing cars over a certain age to be exempt from MOT testing. Road Fund Licence exempt is all well and good but MOTs, I am not so sure.

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

I had an instance with the 104 where the tester could not get the front brakes to "lock". It took quite some explanation of twin trailing shoe brakes to convince him he would NEVER get them to lock and this was a 1950s answer to modern ABS. - the machine's brake gauge gauge went "overclocked" however so there was mega - brake force!!!!
Normal for Norfolk

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

JDB wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:37 pm The brakes work after a fashion and it is my belief that most of the important lights do too
JB
A pretty typical classic car then ;) . Just wondering what the unimportant lights are?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster