Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Fluid Flywheel Issues

Pablo110

Fluid Flywheel Issues

Post by Pablo110 »

I've never been happy with the Fluid Flywheel on my Conquest Century. It has always been harsh, when a gear is selected. even at 400 RPM or less, the car tries to jump forward, in reverse it's as much as I can do to hold it on the brakes. Plus it leaks like a sieve.
So today was Gearbox off day. After much wrestling and a bit of Anglo Saxon, I got the gearbox off. Removed the Flywheel cover and the Driving member, and removed the Circlip. It was here I found I was not the First visitor. The Oil seal had been beaten in with a small drift , judging by the dents in the seal. However the worst problem is the Bronze Bush. This is heavily scored in its thrust face, and is scored in the bore, and has about '020" play between itself and the spigot on the driving member.

So, Questions, is this why my drive is so harsh? Will a new seal take up that much play? Are the bushes availiable and how much of a pain is it to fit?

Regards,
Paul

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Fluid Flywheel Issues

Post by Phillmore »

I would say the harsh take up is more likely to be a gearbox problem than FF. A minor adjustment should solve the problem I would have thought.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

Not an expert, but I`m with Andy - it sounds like the harsh take-up is more likely to be the gearbox. I would have thought that harsh take-up is the least likely result of problems with the fluid flywheel - but then there are folk on here who are far more knowledgeable than me.
Terry

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

Terry, I agree with these posts - this sounds far more likely to be a gearbox issue. The bushing in the FF is easily pressed out - at least it was on my DB18 - but sourcing a replacement may be an issue! FWIW there’s a lesson here: although it takes longer to do it’s far better to remove the FF for seal replacement. It sounds like your previous ‘visitor’ replaced it with the FF still fitted hence the damage to it because it would be difficult to install it with the driven member in the way.
Steve

CDemler

Post by CDemler »

Hi Terry,
I had the same problem with a Conquest.
Check all the linkage that is operating the gear change.
There should be no play in it.
When this is fine it is just about setting the gearbox correctly.
Chris

Pablo110

Post by Pablo110 »

Thanks for all the info Guys. An incorrect FF oil seal stopped play until today. Be careful, there are still some counterfeit items out there. Anyway, the correct seal was purchased today and fitted. FF back together and oil tight, Spare Gearbox fitted and oil tight. Back to work tomorrow so a few evenings this week should see Her back in working order. Looking forward to Driving her again.

Paul