Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DE36 chassis test at the National Museum Australia

Marcus

DE36 chassis test at the National Museum Australia

Post by Marcus »

I cam across this whilst looking for information on the DE36 model. I wish mine was at this stage! There is also another video on You tube showing the dismantling of the car. I'm thinking of asking them whether they want to restore a 2nd one! The museum website has a lot of reference pictures available for anyone who is as mad as me and also has one of these to restore.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: DE36 chassis test at the National Museum Australia

Post by Sydsmith »

What a terrific video, pity there is no sound I bet that engines sounds a treat. Thanks for sharing it with us. Syd

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

There was sound when I played it Syd. Too much in fact with an orchestra playing over the sound of the engine!
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Gentlemen,
If you need information about this project just ask. I have helped them out with some parts and our club donated money so we have an entree to the staff and they would be only too happy to share their knowledge.
I also,put the curator in touch with the British Trust and she was able to,meet executives and see the ex state car DE 36 currently in a museum in your own fair land.
Cheers
Peter G

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Thanks Peter. Do you know if the museum has any close up/detail pictures of the rolling chassis now that it has been restored? Their on line archive just shows pictures of the whole car before the restoration. If they do have any then they would be useful to me in trying to sort out the boxes of parts that came with my car.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

I think it needs ten cushions to set the driver above the steering wheel!

It's just longing to be used in the outback with a sheep pen on the back. :D

However, fantastic effort on the chassis and engine; who will be the next, or first, Royal person to ride in it? Set a target.

I hope they substitute the water with coolant before it rusts the system.

This is one of the three cars in 1954, but not the one in this topic.
Queen_Elizabeth,_Cenotaph,_Sydney_NSW_1954.jpg

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

A couple more posts I found on You Tube about the same car. Can't wait to get started on mine.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Some more great videos Marcus and I managed to solve the sound problem so was treated to the music instead of the engine nose.
A great deal of dedication must have been used to get that straight eight running, where for instance would they find or have made a new crank? I bet they did not get the gasket set off the shelf either. Syd

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Gentlemen,

Money isn't really an issue as it may be for us so I imagine that the gaskets were made up using the originals as patterns, unless they got them from one of the trader members in the UK.
Daimler Boy (Mr Beales) has sets of gaskets for our cars available as would Derek Sleigh and John Nash. I gave them details of them all, especially as Mr Beales had a new old stock crankshaft available.
The Museum opted for a new one, carved from a solid steel billet as the engineers reckoned that there was a weak spot on the original where there was an oil gallery and they were certain they wanted to eliminate that.
the reasoning was that as so many of the cars suffered broken crankshafts this was the way to go and as it wouldn't be seen the fact it was new and not identical with the original would not be an issue. I rather thought that the car, being driven without a vibration damper, towing a horse float had more to do with a broken crankshaft than bad design but then I'm not technical, am I.

Marcus, I will ask if they have some photos of the chassis for you. Do you have the owner's manual and spare parts book for the car? There are many good illustrations in the spares manual in particular that might help.

if you need one scanned email me privately.
Cheers
Peter

Noelex

Post by Noelex »

Thanks Peter lovely to see the DE running. Impressive bit of restoration. Almost a shame to put the body on. Most people would not realise how unusual mechanically these vehicles are!
Cheers
Hugh Spencer
Ps still overseas atm
Haven't found any more forest convertibles lol