Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Starting off in 2nd Conquest Century

BigJAK

Starting off in 2nd Conquest Century

Post by BigJAK »

I haven’t driven my Daimler yet, it is on a wagon and should arrive within the hour.
If I want to set off in second gear, can I just second from neutral and then rev and go?

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Starting off in 2nd Conquest Century

Post by Stan Thomas »

It is acceptable procedure to always drive off in second gear unless facing uphill and/or with a full compliment of passengers.

Decause the fluid flywheel does not fully take up the drive under about 900/1000 rev/min, the car can effectively be driven away in any gear - the fluid flywheel "slipping" until a roadspeed equivalent to 900/1000 rev/min is reached.

However, bear in mind that any slipping of the fliud flywheel in this manner will generate internal heat, so the practice of pulling away in too high a gear is best avoided.

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Re: Starting off in 2nd Conquest Century

Post by grahamemmett »

Starting in second is to be recommended!

Did Anyvan bring i t down for you?
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)