Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Steel finish

Roark

Steel finish

Post by Roark »

On many of the control rods fitted to our cars there are either cup ends or ones that resemble a tapeworm head. Inside the latter ones is a sprung loaded pad which puts pressure on the ball head attached to whatever component needs to be controlled. When re-assembled should one use grease to lubricate the mechanism or oil?

The rods are 1/4" in diameter and on my car they seem to have been painted on one side which looks bad. What finish did these rods and couplings have when they left the factory? The control pedestal and rods on top of the V8 inlet manifolds would be an example. It looks like some sort of plating but my car is post war not post Sixties. I could have the control rods powder coated but I suspect that would look incorrect.

An extremely helpful Antipodean gentlemen has agreed that I should remove the auto lube system. While the theory is good it's a messy way of lubrication. At some point the front suspension and relay arm have been fitted with grease nipples and the "mechanic" has just kept pumping grease into the joints until it overflowed the outside. Fine in principle but remove the excess should be required. The autolube is fine providing the the pipes are clean and the oil runs to each joint equally.

One mechanic who worked on Daimlers said that grease should not be used. The best lubricant is SAE140. It flows better.

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Steel finish

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi John,
On my car the rods are just oil protected steel so while not shiny, they are dark looking and not rusty. No paint obvious.
About the auto lube, one of our members adapted a bicycle pump and a spare reservoir lid to,pressurise the auto lube system on a DB 18 and to see which of the outlets worked. It helped with seeing which needed attention and which did not.
SAE 140 sounds about right.
Cheers
Peter G

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

The process used to finisg small parts and control rods etc. is called "oil blacking" - and there is a wealth of info on the 'net how to do it - or you can buy a kit.

Roark

Post by Roark »

Thank you both. I will search for oil blacking

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

This kit does produce a well blackened surface on carbon steel, but the corrosion resistance is poor. I have parts that have rusted after a few months in an unheated garage.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Rust cure stuff like Kurust will produce a reasonable finish on bare mild steel if left to dry and polished. You will have to repeat it when rust creeps through, which takes a fair time. Or give it a coat of mat clear varnish if you don't mind a bit of a sheen. Syd.