Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Db18 dipstick

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Db18 dipstick

Post by Db n j »

Very good news is that after 8 years hiding away The Duke attended its first rally last Sunday.

Despite the hot weather good behaviour was had, no water consumed.

However; oil leaking is another matter. The main target is the dipstick sleeve which has sheered next to the block.

Given that the sleeve is 3 inches higher than the hole it’s clear that oil can escape.

What to do .??

Has anyone experience in removing and replacing the sleeve, or somehow reattaching the old one ...

terryfrombury

Re: Db18 dipstick

Post by terryfrombury »

First of all, congratulations on getting onto the road!
Secondly, sorry, David, but are you saying that the tube for the dipstick has broken 3 inches up from the block? If you are, then you`re a lucky man! Mine broke off level with the block - ie there was nothing standing above the part of the block where the tube goes in! However, on the other hand I was very lucky because the block was out of the car and the engine had not been assembled.
If, like mine, your tube has broken at the point where it enters the block then it`s rather more of a problem if your engine is back in the car.
Terry

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Terry,

It's broken at the point when it enters the block.

Think it happened before it was put back in the car, but not spotted till it was too late.

The sleeve extends about 3 inches upwards, which allows the hot oil to slosh about put not escape.

So, how did you replace the sleeve ? Did you extract the broken piece up or down ? How did you get it out ? What did you use as a replacement. ?

Many thanks

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

I have a feeling the dipstick tube is simply driven into the block, not screwed in - so hopefully someone can verify this point for starters.

That said, you could try one of those "easy-out" stud extractors, coupiously coated in grease to retain any swarf or debris. Failing that idea, and given the dipstick can still be inserted into the block, why not solder a stop-tube to it at the appropriate place so that it registers at the correct level?

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Stan

Thanks, I don't have a replacement sleeve yet, but wanted to see if driving it down would work. Trying to pull it up seems more problematic, I could try an easy out.

In the meantime I did make a plug, but not sure it's oil tight, so temporarily will have another go at getting a better fit.

Not sure, but I don't see why there should be much pressure generated by the sump to push past the plug ??

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

Hi David
Stan is absolutely right - the tube is simply a press fit into the block. As I said, I was lucky in that mine broke whilst the block was out, so it was simply a matter of drifting the broken bit down and out. I replaced it with an appropriately sized tube.
Driving it down into the sump would obviously be easy to do - but damned hard to get the piece out without dropping the sump. I wonder what is the length of the hole in the block that the tube goes through? Anyone got a spare block who could measure that???
If the hole were say 1.5 inches deep, then I suppose it might be possible to drive in the broken bit about 0.75 inch , so that it`s still held in place but giving you that distance to hold a replacement tube (with lots of Locktite on it!!).
Personally I`ve got to say that if worst comes to worst, I`d rather drop the sump than try to get the bit out with a stud extractor. My recollection is that the tube was quite well driven in, so a heck of a job to extract by pulling.
The problems never end, do they David. The joys of old cars!!!
Terry

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Thanks terry. Sounds like down would be better. Do you have any pipe left ? I am curious as I wondered if the sleeve was narrow in the block and wider outside ?

For now, I have cleaned everything down, and laid a clean cardboard sheet underneath. Tomorrow if it's sunny, I'll warm the car up and see what happens.

(I have made a better plug for the hole, but I am not entirely convinced this is the only leaking point.

As you say, the fun never stops !!

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

Hi David
I really don`t think that the tube was stepped, but as I can`t always remember what I had for dinner last night I wouldn`t swear to that! (Mind you, the red wine doesn`t help!).
The visible part of the new tube is half-inch - how does that compare with your broken bit? Can you get close enough to the block to size the hole?
Thinking about it, I don`t suppose there`s any reason for not stepping a replacement tube. If the hole in the block is actually half-inch and you know a good machinist, you could get some 14 or 15 mm tube and get the bit to insert in the block turned down to half.
What I would probably do if I were you is to knock the bit that`s still in the block down into the sump, and then drain the oil - but drain it cold, not hot! All the time I would be praying!!! But seriously, the dipstick hole is very close to the drain plug, and if the bit didn`t actually come out with the cold oil, you may well be able to get at it with a finger through the drain plug hole.
I`ll keep thinking!
Terry

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

Just as a suggestion, if you drained the oil and then put one of those magnets on a stick just inside the sump plug hole then drive the offending tube out you might be lucky and the tuibe will land on the magnet.

I have a Draper magnet on a flexible handle about 24" long and it is surprising how strong it is.

May be an option. Best of luck!

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Now for a bit of Brummie latteral thinking!

If the dip stick tube is in or near alignment with the drain plug, could you not feed a "guide wire" down the dipstick tube and out through the grain plug hole, then as you drift it into the block, it should emerge out the drain plug hole. Simples.

I can't see any problems making a replacement. first you need a metal stockist (we have a good one in Birmingham) and any machining is a simple lathe job. Where about are you relative to Stafford - I'd be happy to do it for you.

you will of course need to know precicely how far it projects from the block to get the oil level right relative to the dip stick - but any "DB" owner can tell you that.