Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Db18 dipstick

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Db18 dipstick

Post by Db n j »

Thanks gentlemen.

I think knocking the broken bit into the sump is a favoured option. I think a combination of magnet, wire or good luck.

(Worse case drop the sump !)

If the hole is clear I can get a measure using a drill bit, to compare to the tube on our other car.

Stan, I may well come visit penkridge for lathe skills (thanks for the offer) and get a look at your car.

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

Just a further couple of thoughts - or am I simply justifying myself!!??
If you drain the sump before knocking the piece through, then there is a possibility it might bounce away from the drain plug hole. If you knock the piece into the oil it is more likely to sink where it lands - which could well be nearer to the drain plug.
I think Stan`s Brummie idea of a wire is a good one, but you would need to grind a grove along the side of the drift to clear the wire otherwise as you hammer the drift it will sever the wire.
Best of luck, David. Do let us know how it goes.
Terry
PS I suppose you could say that we are all DB18 dipsticks!!!!!!

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

If you take (say) a piece of stiff welding wire or the like and insert it through the dipstick hole and fish around until it hopefully emerges from the drain plug hole, youve established an exit guide for the broken bit.

Then fold the wire over above the dipstick hole and tap it into the dipstick hole so that it is level and holds firm. This way, you will not sever the wire when you drift the old tube out.

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

I sit corrected, Stan! :lol:

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

An update as at end of today.

I had removed the sump to replace the gasket as this was suspected as being the main source of oil leaks. This allowed me to knock the tube
remains upwards. On the bench it was obvious that the 12.6mm od pipe might be good for the outside, but the od of the part that goes into the block was apprpx 11.2mm. The pipe I had did not have enough wall section to turn to size, so I got out the gas torch and welded the 2 bits together.

I made new sump gasket with 1.6mm gasket paper, carefully put a bead of Blue Hylomar on each surface and re-attached. I also pulled-up the studs on the timing-chain cover. Initial running looked good, but after a road trial a drip of oil at the back of the sump. Further tightening of the bolts didn't help.

The theory is that the back of the block is not flat - there is a piece that fits front and back of the block, which seems to have a step, which my gasket did not span. (too hard, and not enough flexibility)

On that basis I have drained the oil to remove the sump again, and ordered some 2mm cork to use as a gasket.

Will be about 2 weeks before I test the theory. Thanks

Beat Weibel

Post by Beat Weibel »

i dont' know whether this helpful: I also once had a broken dipstick with my Daimler Sovereign 420, 1966. The mecanic in the workshop was able to organize a strong magnet fitting into the tube and could pull the rest of the stick out without the need of taking of the sump.
BR
Beat

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

Well, David, congratulations on sorting out the dip stick tube, and it`s interesting that your solution bore no relationship to any of our suggestions!!! On the other hand I`m beginning to wonder if you are searching for the unattainable in trying to stop ALL oil leaks on one of these engines!
Take care
Terry

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Beat, thanks for the suggestion - I didn't have to try anything as I had to remove the sump anyway. Actually, the piece came out quite easily,
but we are wise after the event - next time, I might be tempted to try to pull it out.

Terry, I don't think this leak is of the acceptable type - literally dripping !. I fully accept that an odd drop is part and parcel, but got to
improve the current situation. At least I can remove the sump without moving the engine - actually, just 1 TRE and 1 grease nipple, so its not as big a job as you would think.

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

I’d not realised dropping the sump was that easy. Mine leaks like a sieve from everywhere so may try a new sump gasket and see if that improves matters. Currently I have drip trays from front to back!
Did you not try David Beales for a ready made sump gasket?
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Hi Graham,

I was surprised that it went so well !!

I would have been happy get a gasket from a supplier, Derek didn't have one, and I'm still waiting for a reply from David
about a list of parts I require....

I'll let you know how the cork works ( ordered yesterday, and despatched today).