Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

db18 oil pressure sensor

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

db18 oil pressure sensor

Post by Db n j »

Can anyone tell me the threadsize for the oil pressure sensor (tapped into the side of the block).

I am planning to fit an oil pressure gauge, and want to order the correct t-piece.

Why ? Well I cant get rid of the oil pressure warning light, so want to be sure its not an error in the
sensor before I contemplate the un-comtemplatable.

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Re: db18 oil pressure sensor

Post by John Hitchins »

If the oil pressure light is showing on tick over, the manual says it is normal. Mine DB18 certainly always has done but goes out when move off.
Off the top of my head I think the thread is 1/4 BSP.

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Thanks john. Strange, when first ran it seemed to come on when revs increased, have tried another second hand sender to no effect. Oil is reaching the rocker assemblies via the external pipe. Oil light now always on.

Found the oil pressure relief valve stuck open so changed to a working one. Again no change in result .

Now want to get a gauge to show actual pressure.

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

David,

I think you will find David Beales has them on his E Bay shop.

It is highly likely that the sensor is knack......bugg.......broken as If you can see oil coming out of the rocker feed, there must be some pressure.

The ones he sells are set at 10psi and should only come on when the engine is hot and a gear engaged when stationary.

Neil
Normal for Norfolk

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

Neil, it was a bad design fault to state oil light flickers on tick over in the manual. The 10 psi switch sounds more sensible as mine was 5 psi on both DB18 and Consort. I am used to it now as a test really. It shows working ok.

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Thanks Neil and John.

Am waiting for a new sensor to arrive.

I am however frustrated as Holdens have a nice Smiths magnolia oil pressure dial, and all the bits, except they don't have a 1/4bsp tee-piece.

Does anyone know of another supplier please ?

Thanks

db

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Thanks John.

I did spend a happy hour looking on line.

Finally found a 1/4bsp male - female with a 1/8nptf female hole tapped in side
(which is needed to attach to the pipe.)

Ordered today, so lets see what turns-up. Will be next weekend before I can buy/fit the gauge.

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Latest on the duke.

Loaned a garage oil pressure tester from geoff onions, started the engine, and hit 80psi plus, and a puddle of oil !

Removed the filter housing and removed the packet behind the spring. This was added as the thimble didn't return to open, and I didn't have a better spring.

Refitted, and on retest, got 50psi, 40 at very low revs. No more puddles.

Fitted a smiths pressure gauge and new oil sensor. Again 50psi, oil light goes out and stays out.

So, a relief, but also pleased to have an actual reading, and a guide for the long term.

What I learned was that the oil pressure relief valve was stuck and I only found it when trying to resolve the light problem. I'm still not sure the thimble is closing, but that isn't a big issue at the moment. Discovered that david Beales sells the spring and reproduced thimbles.

For info, got the smiths magnolia from holdens, and the three way fitting from Mocal.

Back to the interior !