Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Rustproofing

DEC Editor

Rustproofing

Post by DEC Editor »

I like to think this is sufficiently specific to be worth its own thread...

On the mark 1 Conquest saloons there is a plenum chamber below the vent on the scuttle. This has a drain tube which does what these things usually do and gets blocked so that the chamber (a thin deep steel box) floods and then rusts out. I have had mine repaired at such vast expense that I am especially keen that it should not rust again. Obviously I will be more attentive to the drain tube than any previous owner was but I was wondering if anyone can recommend anything (beyond a very thick layer of paint) with which to protect the inside of the chamber. It was all blast cleaned before repair and is in etch primer at present.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Rustproofing

Post by Chris_R »

Practical Classics (I think it was they) did some long term tests on rust prevention products a while back. It might be worth trying to seek out those tests and use the results to make your decision. I don't recall specifically the products that came out best.

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

Wax oil sprayed into it should be good.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

I've found this stuff very effective. I had a complete car treated with it professionally and the protection is more effective than any of the other products I'v tried - Waxoil, Dinitrol, Bilt Hamber - particularly on already rusted surfaces. The professional treatment applies it hot (to facilitate penetration) but the aerosol is equally effective.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Beat Weibel

Post by Beat Weibel »

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

Yet another option might be to use a fuel tank lining compound - put a complete coat on the inside of the plenum chamber. Try this;
https://www.frost.co.uk/por15-car-bike- ... gJeT_D_BwE
Cheers
TerryfromBury

Barrie

Post by Barrie »

I've had this situation before and found that anything which is even mildly sticky or rough (such as Waxoil or even matt paint) will cause future problems.
I found that it's pollen and leaf-litter which causes the blockages building up into a sludge which stops the water from exiting. If water is allowed to stand it will eventually break through any protective surface.
I solved the problem (in as much as it can ever be totally solved) by two coats of gloss paint which gives the water and any detritus the best chance of exiting and not lingering the plenum chamber. That, coupled with occasionally pointing a hose pipe into the air intake to flush it out, seems to do the trick. Good luck and let us know what you decide.