Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Old Bolts

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Old Bolts

Post by NickDeAth »

Mr O'Plinth that certainly is a very fine looking job I wish I had the facilities to do something similar. Mine is more preservation rather than restoration.

To Chris R getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Sorry to hi-jack the thread.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

I think this thread is well and truly hijacked now!
Nick, yes I agree, anno domini cannot be beaten.
And Nick, yes, that does look a nice job. Forgive my ignorance, what is it? I hope you didn't use old bolts and your nuts were new ones.
Which brings this neatly back on thread!

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

You`re right, Chris, it`s absolutely imperative to have the right nuts!

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

And the left handed nuts too (if needed).

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Chris_R wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:13 pm I think this thread is well and truly hijacked now!
Nick, yes I agree, anno domini cannot be beaten.
And Nick, yes, that does look a nice job. Forgive my ignorance, what is it? I hope you didn't use old bolts and your nuts were new ones.
Which brings this neatly back on thread!
It's a '48 MG TC Chris, and after de-rusting and chemical blacking I actually re-used a large proportion of the original nuts and bolts (for a more authentic appearance than the BZP or stainless fasteners available new)

This piccie may look as if more progress has been made than in the previous shot..
1-P1280258.JPG
...but it's actually an earlier stage in the restoration. A lot of new body panels were used so everything had to be assembled and properly aligned before stripping it all down again ready for painting - more haste, less speed!

And just to veer back slightly on thread, the engine rebuild had it's own unique nut and bolt challenges - re this thread.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

ron.rsp

Post by ron.rsp »

This is where my charity donation went for the the "Old new Bolts" supplied free gratis by Thomas Smith Fasterners.
An emergency service hopefully none of us will ever need, the £2,000 they raised on their road run is enough to cover one call out!

Ron.
Attachments
_DSC3016.jpg