Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DQ alternator

JDB

DQ alternator

Post by JDB »

I'm having my alternator reconditioned due to a burnt out rotor. I have been advised that this was caused by a faulty control box and I am just checking whether anyone knows if the modern 4TR reproduction units are compatible with +ve earth; I don't see why they wouldn't be but thought I'd ask anyway.
Cheers, JB

captain bobo

Re: DQ alternator

Post by captain bobo »

I stress that I'm not an expert. but I do know a fair bit about electronics. I imagine that, provided the 4TR is completely isolated from any form of earth connection so that the power transistors only receive the correct polarity, then it should work.

Unless, of course, others more knowledgeable than I can tell me that my suggestion is flawed.
Best wishes, Dave B

JDB

Post by JDB »

Thanks for that Dave, the unit looks exactly the same as the original and there's nothing in the blurb about +ve earth, I could email the supplier but it doesn't seem necessary.
Cheers, JB

JDB

Post by JDB »

I have refitted the reconditioned alternator with the original control box still in place for the time being and on a very short drive (it was planned to be short which was just as well as the PS hose let go at the end!) the charging system appeared to be working fine; initially high current shown on the ammeter, dropping to around 0 as the battery charged. Would I be safe in assuming the control box is fine and the rotor burnout (which occurred prior to my ownership) was caused by long-term running with a poor battery, or is a control box fault still a likely cause?
JB