Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Consort Rear Axle Oil

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Consort Rear Axle Oil

Post by NickDeAth »

I know the threads about oil on here are numerous but please indulge me.

I have read most of the"oil" threads and the theme (as far as my car is concerned) is to use straight SAE oils. So I started looking for SAE 90 on the internet. Then I thought let's see what the handbook says. The handbook says 4 pints of EP 90, so I intend to do what the handbook says unless anybody can tell me anything different.

Any opinions gratefully received.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

terryfrombury

Re: Consort Rear Axle Oil

Post by terryfrombury »

Wish I knew the difference between SAE and EP!!!!!

Terry from Bury

Bob Frisby

Post by Bob Frisby »

SAE is Society of Automotive Engineers, an American organization. It sets standards for viscosity, etc., for motor oils.

EP stands for "Extreme Pressure", and is used to designate oils suitable for hypoid final-drive gears, and presumably worm-drive gears as well. The idea is to ensure that the oil film does not break down under the extreme pressure and sliding action of such gearsets.

Bob Frisby
DB18 and DF302 Empresses and other old Brit cars
Boise, Idaho USA

Noelex

Post by Noelex »

Just a comment.
From memory a Consort does not have a worm drive diff but rather a conventional hypoid differential. Lubrication requirements are quite different.
Cheers all

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

The Consort and Special Sports share the same handbook.

The SS is listed as having a three quarter floating underslung worm rear axle and uses SAE 140

The Consortia listed as having a three quarter floating underslung hypoid gear rear axle and uses EP 90.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

Bob Frisby wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:22 pm SAE is Society of Automotive Engineers, an American organization. It sets standards for viscosity, etc., for motor oils.

EP stands for "Extreme Pressure", and is used to designate oils suitable for hypoid final-drive gears, and presumably worm-drive gears as well. The idea is to ensure that the oil film does not break down under the extreme pressure and sliding action of such gearsets.

Bob Frisby
DB18 and DF302 Empresses and other old Brit cars
Boise, Idaho USA
Thanks, Bob!

Bob Frisby

Post by Bob Frisby »

It is interesting to this American that a great many (older) British cars (and motorcycles) specify motor oil for their gearboxes. Over here, gearboxes almost always used gear oil, which had different viscosity standards and tended to smell of sulfur.

Bob Frisby
Boise, Idaho USA

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

No - No -No - No - No do NOT put E.P. oil in a worm drive axle, (Bob's post 28th of August) as the sulphur content will eat your bronze wheel.

Some modern E.P. oils are blended without sulphur - but you cannot take the risk, and don't rely on the man "at Halfords" making a guess, as he's probably never heard of a worm drive axle anyway.

Silkolene blend an oil specifically for worm drive axles and applications which have bronze or brass components, and it is called Rhino 140 - whilst also describing it as a mild E.P. (exteme pressure) lubricant.

Noelex

Post by Noelex »

As some one who has had to have a new bronze gear manufactured for the Special Sports I cannot over emphasis the importance of the right oil for a worm drive differential. One of the problems is worm drives work on a sliding action whereas hypoid gears work on a rolling action. The slipping action not only generates greater heat it also has a problem when modern sticky oils literally rip the faces off the bronze gear wheel. It's not actually sulpher as such dissolving bronze as is commonly suggested. When you loom at my old gear wheel the catering in the bronze is quite specific and it occurs only in the centre of the teeth faces where this heat suction is occurring. This does not happen with conventional steel gears.
Nevertheless bronze worms have an important benefit in that they are inherently stronger which is why heavy industry will still use them. But not great for high speed as too much heat is generated. I have modern bronze nickel gear and use full special synthetic oil.

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Nick, as your Consort uses a Hypoid then EP is safe. SS and Older DB18s have worms and cannot tolerate EP as detailed above.
However, the Silkolene formulation seems a good bet.

Regards
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)