Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DJ260 CONQUEST CENTERY BRAKES

ROSS70JEN

DJ260 CONQUEST CENTERY BRAKES

Post by ROSS70JEN »

HI ALL
I still have a problem with my car brakes.
I have fitted a factory rebuilt master cylinder and 4 new copy wheel cylinders with some new copper pipes and nipples. It took a lot or work and time to get the oil to flow out of the nipples but i now think all the air is out of the system.
How ever the brakes still do not work as they should. When you press the foot pedal it doges allmost to the floor befor it is solid and you can still just move the wheel round however if you pump the pedal once again the travel is only a small amount about half way down and the brakes work quite well.
Please can offer any advice and help please ?
Fed up Bryan

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: DJ260 CONQUEST CENTERY BRAKES

Post by Phillmore »

I would say there must still be air in the system, possibly in the master cylinder?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

Completely let off the handbrake adjustment then adjust all the wheel brakes and see how the foot pedal feels then. If OK re-adjust the hand brake.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

I spent quite a lot of time and effort with a friend trying to bleed the Special Sport brakes. We thought we`d got all the air out of the system, but the brakes were still inadequate - rather as you describe. In the end I borrowed a "self-bleeding kit" from someone else. It worked by having a cap for the fluid reservoir that was connected to a tyre inner tube, so that you inflated the inner tube - not to full tyre pressure - so that the fluid in the system was under pressure. Consequently when you opened the bleed screw, the pressure pushed the fluid through and the air out - no need to pump the brake pedal. That solved the problem!
I don`t know if anyone still does a kit like that, but if they don`t it would be easy enough to make one.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Gunsons Eezibleed as has been said a very simple solution to both brake and clutch bleeding, it is an investment mine is twenty years old and has been used and borrowed dozens of times. Not sure how they justify the price but it is a bit of simple but good kit. Halfords and any good motor factor sell them for abut £20.

One of those rare things, a gadget that works.

I use the front off side tyre to provide the pressure. Syd

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Sydsmith wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:20 am Gunsons Eezibleed as has been said a very simple solution to both brake and clutch bleeding, it is an investment mine is twenty years old and has been used and borrowed dozens of times. Not sure how they justify the price but it is a bit of simple but good kit. Halfords and any good motor factor sell them for abut £20.

One of those rare things, a gadget that works.

I use the front off side tyre to provide the pressure. Syd
Is there a cap that fits the Conquest reservoir included in the kit Syd?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

If I remember correctly, the kit included some different sized caps, so you picked the one that fitted.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Yes but looking at the reviews some people complain that 'their' cap wasn't in the kit so just wondering whether the 'Conquest' cap was included.
Andy

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

I honestly have no idea. Why don`t you ask the youngster at Halfords - they`ll know!!!!!!!! :lol:

Seriously, it shouldn`t be that much of a problem. If you have or can get a spare reservoir cap, it`ll be easy to adapt it and fit a connector.

Cheers from Bury

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I can't be sure if there is a cap for the Conquest, the kit I have has a selection of caps as Terry says. I have used it on my V8 250 both clutch and brakes, my SP250 an MGB, Morris Minor and a Mini to list just a few.

I do think there is a suitable size as it covers most makes and models of master cylinder.

It comes in a cardboard box so you could as Terry says check if you can find a stockist locally.