Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Conquest over charging

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Conquest over charging

Post by Phillmore »

I've just recommissioned one of my Conquests after a six month lay off (water pump and all hoses) and noticed that it appears to be over charging. At tick over the ignition warning light is on and the ammeter is showing a discharge. Once on the move the light goes out and at 30 mph it is showing a slight charge. At 40 mph it is charging at +15a and at 50 mph is charging at +30a. I'm assuming the ammeter is accurate. I'm also assuming there is a fault in the regulator or wiring somewhere.

Are there any obvious quick checks I can do to locate the fault?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

John-B
Site Admin

Re: Conquest over charging

Post by John-B »

Check the battery. It might have a short after a long layoff or not be holding any charge, so it just keeps charging. Swap it for another battery temporarily.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Thanks John, yes that would be an easy first fix idea. I can pillage one from one of my other conquests. I would have thought that initial start up charge would have been high if the battery was discharged though?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

Did you have the battery on constant trickle charge during the time off the road, or was it a case of a major boost just before the restart? If it was on trickle charge and is reading so high then I`d have thought that John was right in pointing at the battery. If you just gave it a quick boost before starting then the high reading wouldn`t surprise me quite so much - I suppose then the question would be , for how long does it charge at such a high rate? I`d have expected it to read high at first and then to gradually reduce to "normal".

I had the Special Sports regulator converted to solid state so at least that removes one cause of such problems.

Terry from Bury

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

Check the voltage. If it's over 13.6 volts it's probably overcharging.
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

terryfrombury wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:39 pm Did you have the battery on constant trickle charge during the time off the road, or was it a case of a major boost just before the restart? If it was on trickle charge and is reading so high then I`d have thought that John was right in pointing at the battery. If you just gave it a quick boost before starting then the high reading wouldn`t surprise me quite so much - I suppose then the question would be , for how long does it charge at such a high rate? I`d have expected it to read high at first and then to gradually reduce to "normal".

I had the Special Sports regulator converted to solid state so at least that removes one cause of such problems.

Terry from Bury
Thinking about it now the lay up was only about three months and it got no charge in that time but it turned over fine.
Andy

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Petelang wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:15 pm Check the voltage. If it's over 13.6 volts it's probably overcharging.
Peter
I assume this is when running?
Andy

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

It certainly sounds like the regulator is not working, and from your description it’s quite possible the regulator coil has failed. When this happens the regulator contacts remain closed thus giving maximum unregulated output from the dynamo. I beseech thee not to run the engine until you’ve identified whether this is the problem because if it is eventually the solder of the dynamo’s armature will go into meltdown...literally! A quick and effective test of the regulator coil is simple: disconnect the earth lead from the battery and connect a 12 volt supply to the D and E terminals of the control box. (The car’s battery is fine for this if you’ve got enough wire to reach it.) If the regulator coil is OK then the soft iron core will magnetise. If it desn’t then the coil is U/S. FWIW the same test can be applied to the cut-out’s coil as well.
Hope this helps.
Steve.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

If it is the regulator that's broken, consider sending it to Peter at http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/ for electronic conversion. It's expensive, mine cost over £200, but it's reliable and you don't have to fiddle with settings. Completely trouble-free.

He will ask you to check the dynamo, battery and wiring.

The connections will be the same, but be very careful fitting it. Connecting the wrong way will instantly fry it. :shock:

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I agree, by the description of the fault that the regulator is the main suspect, the suggestions as to how to check it are good, but I have real doubts about introducing electronics into our cars for the sake of it.

I am a retired TV engineer and know full well how vulnerable semiconductor devices can be to a mistake, one small error and the whole thing is ruined. 50 years in the trade I had my moments, many a slip of a meter prod cost me dearly.

When it comes to fitting these devices into old cars I find it difficult to agree that they are a good thing, especially when the folks fitting them have very little comprehension of the damage they can do with a splash of 12 volts, it can cost them a ruined £200 unit.

Most magnetic mechanical regulators can be repaired and made reliable by the right person, they have lasted 50-60 years or more, so they have been reliable and robust. Why replace them with a unit which can be ruined in a second by a small mistake?

John is right the units should be a lot more reliable than a mechanical device, but only as long as they are treated with respect. The problem is with the designers and suppliers, if they are properly protected against mistakes, electronic devices can be made robust and reliable in the hands of the inexperienced. Syd