Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Special Sports Steering Specifications

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Special Sports Steering Specifications

Post by Peter Grant »

Gentle Forum members and Guests,

A club member here in Sydney with a newly acquired DB 18 Special Sports finds the steering on the car very heavy.
Now these cars do tend to be quite heavy, especially with parking and slow manoeuvring.

He has found the following from the handbook and has started a conversation with Marles:

"I have an original handbook for the Consort and the 2 ½ SS which quotes the ratio for the Marles steering box at 15.75 to 1 which gives a turning circle of 41 feet. It makes no mention of steering wheel turns lock to lock. With my car on the hoist I have 2 2/3 turns lock to lock. With your box the ratio must be near 25 to 1. Am I right ?"

Has anyone tested their own car to determine lock to lock?

Also, given what appears to be a model characteristic, has anyone replaced the standard steering box with a higher ratio one to make the steering lighter?

There is a suggestion that the P3690/3691 box for right hand drive as fitted to the DB 18 saloon may be a preferable unit rather than the one fitted to the Consort/Special Sports (personally I am surprised there was a difference between those models).

Hoping someone can assist with details.

Cheers
Peter Grant

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Re: Special Sports Steering Specifications

Post by grahamemmett »

Hello Peter
Yes I’m surprised they are different too.
My steering was appallingly heavy but since renewing all the front suspension bushes it’s considerably lighter and so much better to drive.
Assuming all is well with the suspension and kingpins, how about considering electrical assistance? Gaining in popularity in Europe, discretely fitted for about 1200 Euros (in Holland). There is an account of somebody DIYing a solution using a Vauxhall Corsa power steering motor for a few pounds. You just have to be in possession of a lathe and be bloody brave to the cut the steering column in two 😳
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

The load on the front wheels is taken up by a small steering thrust pad to prevent drivers developing biceps like Tarzan. The clearance is taken up by a small disc which fits between the kingpin lower face and is retained by a cap, assuming the arrangement is the same as the DB18. These discs come in thicknesses ranging from 0.1" to 0.8"... P/N is 255881. God knows what the swivel pin up and down backlash should be but I would guess the least possible without binding.

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

From memory I think I also have about 2 and 2/3 lock to lock. When on the move the steering is relatively light for a 68 year-old car, but quite heavy at very slow speeds. The problem with us being used to modern car steering is that "heavy" means different things to different folk.

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

One more thing to consider - tyres.

The Duke (our DB18 Empress was fitted with radial tyres, same as taxi.)

The steering was heavy.

For its birthday, it got a set of crossply Avon Tourists and I believe they are much easier at slow speed.

Just a thought

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Why not covert to Electric powered assistance ?
Mate of mine has just has his Sixries Maserati converted , and he has found it so good, that he is now having his circa 1915 Sunbeam covererted now .

Cheers Al 😀

Crossley Stephenson

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

Several good points raised. The steering is NOT comparable with a modern car! The steering is (if everything is set up correctly) reasonably light and direct when travelling at more than walking pace. The steering is heavy at parking speeds - I fear we have all become so used to modern power steering that we have lost the art of driving - never attempt to turn the steering wheel unless there is some forward or backward motion. Tyre pressures - radial or crossply - will make a marked difference. My SS has Coker Classic radials and after much experimenting I have settled on 35psi all round.

My last thought - upsetting to some perhaps - is if you want to drive a car with contemporary steering buy something more modern. I personally like the 'old' feel and enjoy the car for what it is - a 67 year old example of then state of the art technology.

Cheers
Michael

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Thank you everyone who has posted a reply.
The responses are sensible and I will let our Sydney member know of your thoughts and suggestions.
Personally I agree that we are spoilt by modern steering and power assist everything with our cars. Our biceps are no longer needed, and with sat Nav systems our brains can take a holiday too.
Cheers
Peter Grant

Noelex

Post by Noelex »

Thanks for the comments. Most helpful. I do know that my SS has a different parts list to a standard DB18. The two steering columns are different! I have to get new bearings and seals for mine.

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Everyone,
the latest is that contact has been made with Marles Steering (the company does still exist) and a sample drop arm has been sent to them to check on compatibility and a slightly shorter arm will be made to the same Imperial specs and be fitted to the standard steering box.
The idea is that the geometry will be much improved, instead of 2point something turns lock to lock it will be 3point something turns lock to lock, there will still be space either end of the worm and the effort to steer at lower speeds should be reduced to about 60% of the work needed now.
The bonus is more even wear of the steering box innards, too.
Stay tuned. Five have been ordered and reports will be given once the new arm is received and fitted.
Cheers
PG