Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler Majestic Major Rally car

Marcus

Daimler Majestic Major Rally car

Post by Marcus »

Hi all,
Am in discussion with a friend about doing a long distance historic endurance rally. I recall that one of our members converted a MM for rallying. I’d like to talk to them to understand what problems they faced in using the car for extreme driving. I could use something smaller but rather value my creature comforts! If anyone reading this can remember who it was I’d appreciate a name or any reference from the Driving Member.

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Re: Daimler Majestic Major Rally car

Post by grahamemmett »

Barmy but brilliant!
If you do it, I’ll donate the vehicle tracker so we don’t lose you 😃
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

JDB

Post by JDB »

Don't know who in the club rallied one, but Alistair Caldwell did; http://www.alastaircaldwell.com/the-car ... -major.htm
JB

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

I feel a DM article coming on...
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

grahamemmett wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:37 am I feel a DM article coming on...
Yes, take lots of notes and photos, during the preparation, rally and aftermath. Perhaps a video too.

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Excellent, thanks for the link. Planning i it’s early stages, we considered using a Major or a Mk10 jag. I suspect biggest problem will be housing a large enough fuel tank.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Marcus wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:55 am Excellent, thanks for the link. Planning i it’s early stages, we considered using a Major or a Mk10 jag. I suspect biggest problem will be housing a large enough fuel tank.
You will have a huge boot (trunk) to store some jerrycans, or will you fill it up with camping equipment and food?

My advice - beef up the suspension if you will visit any third-world country (even for British roads). :D Where are you going? You can't go far in HK except up and down the peak. China? Build up the bump stops, possibly with springs in case the suspension fails. When I was young the family took a 1934 Bentley across France, Spain and Portugal in 1950s where roads were terrible and we were overloaded with suitcases, etc. When we got home we discovered that the rear suspension had failed and we had been on just the bump stops!

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

I applaud your efforts having owned two of these. I guess you will crowdfund the fuel bill! They are fairly robust, fast and handle surprisingly well. Weak point for me is the gearbox. Would be so much better if you upgraded to a ZF box.

18 - 20 mpg is possible but I would guess early teens on this escapade.

Best of luck

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Thanks all for the kind words. This will be a 2019 effort, although I have already found a willing co-driver. Lets hope he is silling to share the fuel costs!!
I will take some pics as we progress. Agree that the gearbox upgrade would be a good idea however I recall that the cost from Graham WWhitehouse is something in the region of 6,000 pounds. That makes it too expensive.

JDB

Post by JDB »

Are the gearboxes known to be weak? I've never had any problem with mine.
JB