Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DE36 fuel tank

Roark

DE36 fuel tank

Post by Roark »

I was going to take the fuel tank to be powder coated and the company asked that I drain and flush it carefully. The petrol came out but moving the tank around produced the sound of something solid sliding about. I put several gallons of water into it and then drained that out to the accompaniment of dollops of rust hitting the floor. There is still much of this stuff left in the tank. I can try several more attempts to flush out the rust. Alternatively I could have a stainless steel tank made.
My inclination was to take it to a company that might take off one end to flush it out and even have it blast cleaned but previous experience with sand blasted tanks left me with a tank with small pin holes and that tank was only 25 years old if not younger. I know there is a product that coats the inside of fuel tanks.
In addition the two pick-up pipes do not have any form of filtration mesh fitted. The mesh that's fitted to SP250 pick up pipes. Should they have such mesh. If not I will have to have some soldered on or the carburettors will be full of muck.
Then to make life more "interesting" the fuel tank sender is rusted solid. I have tried applications of Plus Gas but it doesn't seem to want to move and applying heat is not possible.
Any suggestions will be received gratefully!

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: DE36 fuel tank

Post by Chris_R »

Flushing out will only remove loose rust. Use an endoscope to look inside to see the extent of rust damage. There are some rust disolving products on the market. I have no idea how effective they are but you could investigate that and possibly use them to disolve any rust to remove it. The endoscope will let know which areas of the tank you need to concentrate on. Then perhaps slosh in some rust converter before putting in a sealer.

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

There`s quite a thread on here quite recently about fuel tanks. A couple of us mentioned one firm - they did mine and made a splendid job. Try;
https://www.fueltanks.co.uk/

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

John, hi.
You are spending so much time and effort tonight your car as near to right as possible, why not get a new tank made and then you have the confidence that the fuel system should not let you down with a leaking tank, rust and muck blocking the fuel lines and an accurate fuel gauge.
I am complete hypocrite as mine is till the original tank and sender and happily shows full all the time. I fill up by log book, I allow 9 miles per gallon and fill accordingly. As my tyres are slightly smaller than spec it gives me a 10 percent buffer as my odometer is a little " positive" about distances travelled.
Cheers
Peter G

Roark

Post by Roark »

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have considered the stainless steel route but which company is the best? Another problem is that the fuel pipes are copper and with the increasing use of ethanol in modern petrol perhaps I should consider changing the pipes as well. Apparently there is a plastic pipe that can be used, buses use it so was told and Land Rovers have it too. What choice have others made please?

Roark

Post by Roark »

Good afternoon,
Does anyone have any recommendations on the subject of stainless steel fuel tank manufacturers please? My suspicions about the original tank might mean a stainless one is the only route. I have sent a mail to Jay Wolfe in Northampton but I am waiting for the response.