Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

"near" and "off" sides

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: "near" and "off" sides

Post by Stan Thomas »

Wen I wuz a nipper in bermingum, we still called the steet the horse-road, as in:

"The miskin men 'ave just told me yow let the babby goo in the horse road, an its a playin' in the suff"

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

How about hood - the English hood, not the American one? Isn`t that just straight from horse drawn vehicles. Then there are "cabs" (rather than Taxis). I suppose another possibility is when we talk about "tracking". Got to have the wheels aligned correctly so they stay in the tracks!
Terry
PS Love Stan`s Brummie accent.

Bob Frisby

Post by Bob Frisby »

Thanks to everyone for their posts, and I'm glad I started a popular thread! I especially appreciate that "Philmore" seems to positively confirm my thoughts on this. I'll remain firm that "near" is left and "off" is right.

Surely it is almost strictly a UK usage, but we Britcar fans and other Anglophiles. enjoy this sort of trivia.

I am not a "horsey" person myself, but I did grow up around them (it's the West, you know). I think it's just probably simpler and quicker training a young foal if you approach it consistently. But I have heard of horses trained (from very early on) to be approachable from both sides.

Thanks again,

Bob Frisby
Boise, Idaho USA

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

I seem to recall an history program many years ago. In it they claimed that the Roman army created the law governing the side of the road people could travel on. The reason was that it was to enable them to draw their swords to protect them selves if attacked. This would mean passing right shoulder to right shoulder as being left handed would not be allowed.
It was only recently I discovered why being left handed wasn't allowed.
Apparently you always used your left hand to clean your bum and as toilets paper and wash basins weren't around it was often dirty.
I believe some religions don't allow shaking left hands for that reason today.

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

In that case, Marcel, your left hand really would be the "off" side!!!

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

Sorry folks, but thinking about it I`ve decided to wash my hands of this thread!