Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

"near" and "off" sides

Bob Frisby

"near" and "off" sides

Post by Bob Frisby »

Apologies as needed, but I didn't know where or how to post this question otherwise.

Americans tend to be baffled by these terms, so we (Idaho British Car Club) tend to get asked about them at shows.

I have always answered that the "near" side is the left side, and the "far" side is the right side. However, one native Brit on the Jaguar forum says that the near side is always the side nearest the curb (kerb), which is obviously true in the UK. But if I am correct, that would NOT be true in the US, or on the continent.

I have seen knock-off nuts (spinners). engraved with "LEFT (NEAR) SIDE" and "RIGHT (FAR) SIDE", which would seem to lend support to my version.

I also have a theory that the terms originated with horses. Over here, one always approaches a horse from the left, making the left side of the horse the "near" side. I suspect this is still true in the UK too. Could anybody confirm?

Bob Frisby
Boise, Idaho USA
2 Hooper Empresses, and 3 other old Britcars

terryfrombury

Re: "near" and "off" sides

Post by terryfrombury »

Why do you always approach a horse from the left, Bob? Personally I have no experience of approaching horses - I try to keep as far away from them as possible!

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

It may just be a UK thing.
The SP manual names the left of the car as the driver sits in his seat looking forward.
I think this was to overcome any confusion with export models. The term nearside was avoided.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

When I was in the States I was told by an American that driving on the right harks back to the days of horse drawn vehicles. Since most people are right handed using the whip was safer because there was less chance of accidentally whipping a driver approaching in the opposite direction. Well, that’s what he said. Cold comfort for pedestrians, of course....
I’ve always thought the words ‘nearside’ and ‘offside’ were solely British usages. Here in Oz I rarely, if ever, hear them used except when the gathering is principally of we British chappies. Long live the Empire.
Steve

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Whilst on the subject of the motoring "differences" between the U.S.A. and the U.K. - can anyone add two pennyworth to something I was told a few years ago insofar as where we in the U.K. drive an automatic by transfering the right foot to the brake pedal, in The States it is common to apply the brakes with the left foot.

Is that true?

This forum is more interesting than Brexit!!

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Apparently horses react differently depending on which eye they see through. They learn more quickly through left eye vision. Anything seen through their right eye will result in a more nervous reaction.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

My understanding is that 'near side' is always left as the origin is indeed equine and long before kerbs existed. Horses were always mounted from the left (near) side due to the fact that the sword scabbard lay across the left leg leaving only the right leg free to throw over the back of the horse. (That's assuming a right handed horseman of course).
Last edited by Phillmore on Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Considering the car has evolved from the horse and carriage and is in effect a horseless carriage there must be many automotive terms related to those times. So your starter for ten . . . . . . . .

I'll start with 'dash board', the piece of wood that acted as a shield for road debris dashed up by horses feet.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Horse power - Shire horse or Shetland pony? Big Difference.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Leaf springs are still often referred to as 'cart springs'.

And how many people still keep gloves in the glove box? (Not sure that's a horse reference though, more likely a chauffeur thing).
Andy