Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DJ254 gearbox mount

Crossley Stephenson

DJ254 gearbox mount

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

I've done a search but can find nothing. I am about to put the engine and gearbox back in my DJ254 NDHC. I can find no drawing or photos of the rear mount under the gearbox. The manual is not very helpful and appears to be a little different to the arrangement I have.

I have a new gearbox mount which I assume (always dangerous) is supposed to fit within the cross member but it is too wide - not much but enough to stop it going where I think it should.

Any help or suggestions?

Cheers
Michael

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: DJ254 gearbox mount

Post by Stan Thomas »

Hi Crossley,

If I'm reading your post correctly, you are referring to the rear engine/gearbox unit rear mounting (with the engine and geabox bolted together - they are mounted in the chassis at three points - two either side at the front, and one large mounting at the rear of the gearbox in the centre).

If its the rear mounting you are referring to, it is part number 303076, a large rectangular Metalastik unit made up of three plates, two on the outside and a centre plate sandwiched between with rubber bonding. All three plates have two holes in each end.

Can you email me a couple of pictures of the mounting you have, and I'll check. If its not the right one, from memory, I might just have used one somewhere in the depths of my shed if it will help.

My email address is:

sleevevalve@mail.com

Regards,

Stan.

Crossley Stephenson

Thanks for responding Stan, much appreciated.

I have attached 3 photos:
The cross member in situ
The mount purchased from on of the usual vendors
The rear of the gearbox

I assume that the mount should fit in the cross member but it doesn't. I don't want to 'make'it fit before exploring the alternatives,

Thanks again
Michael
Attachments
IMG_3211.JPG
IMG_3210.JPG
IMG_3211.JPG

Crossley Stephenson

And the final photo
Attachments
IMG_3209.JPG

migray
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by migray »

The gearbox mount looks right from what I remember from doing this job last year. It was a bit awkward getting the screws lined up but it did fit.
I have been looking for a photo but can't find a clear one unfortunately.

Mike Gray

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Hi Crossley,

The picture you sent of the Metalastik mounting alone looks to be the correct part, as does the seperate flanged "bobbins"??

According to the parts book, there is also a conical support buffer bolted centrally on the cross bearer. Do you have that, and would the gearbox rest upon in when insitu?

migray
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by migray »

This is a close up of the photo in the manual. You can just make out the nut holding the central rubber buffer between the two bolts for the mounting plate.
Attachments
gearmount.JPG

Crossley Stephenson

Thanks Stan & Mike. I do have the conical buffer and think I know how it should all go together......the Metalalastik mount attaches to the bracket on the gearbox and then fits inside the cross member, only it doesn't. It is just a wee bit too wide. The judicious use of a file may solve the problem.

Cheers
Michael