Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler Majestic Major - Jaguar 1988 XJS Convertible

Dave Frazer

Daimler Majestic Major - Jaguar 1988 XJS Convertible

Post by Dave Frazer »

I own a Majestic Major that was unfortunately fitted with a fabric sunroof and allowed to sit in the sun for many years in both Florida and California - as a result the interior is totally destroyed. It is complete otherwise. It was repainted with grey primer, so don't really know sound body is.
I have the opportunity to buy a mint perfect XJS (the top looks as new from the factory, paint and interior both perfect, no rust) for a pittance - with engine removed. The engine is in a large wooden box, partially disassembled. My guess is an engine problem caused removal by someone with no understanding and when it was discovered how many dollars to repair everything was allowed to sit idle for 20 -25 years.

Has anyone fitted a Major 4.5 engine to any Jaguar, particularly to an XJS? Will it fit? I'm old and poor (bought first SP250 in 1960-100032). Before I spend the pittance would like to have any and all comments. thanks

Marcus

Re: Daimler Majestic Major - Jaguar 1988 XJS Convertible

Post by Marcus »

HI David,

Shortly after they purchased Daimler, Jaguar cars fitted the DQ/DR 450 engine to a Jaguar Mk10 when it was still in production. Evidently this was quite a performer around the MIRA test track but the story goes that Jaguar chose not to tool up for larger production volumes of the v8 and went for the XK straight 6. No doubt there are forum members who can expand up on that. Funnily enough I have a 3.8mk 10 rolling shell and a spare DQ engine that I have been toying with putting together to re-create that test car.

As to your XJS, I know that converting to a v8 is popular in the 'States. I have no idea what is involved but it has been done before, usually with US V8's. Personally, I would be tempted to keep it in the Major. That's a pretty rare car these days, especially in the US.

What chassis number so you own?

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Daimler Majestic Major - Jaguar 1988 XJS Convertible

Post by Christopher Storey »

In the first place I'm pretty sure it won't fit because of width problems , and also because you will end up with needing a large bonnet bulge to clear the carburetters. Secondly , if the V12 is already in pieces, the worst problem with it is solved - that is getting the cylinder heads off, and if you can identify the problem with it it should not be too difficult to repair . Thirdly, mint XJS are beginning to appreciate in value, but not if they have been radically modified, when they are worthless.