Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Special Sports Front Wing Piping

clevitt

Special Sports Front Wing Piping

Post by clevitt »

Can any Special Sports owners confirm that my car is missing a section of piping where the front wing sits against the vertical part of the scuttle ?
image.jpeg
The photo shows the downside of having the car sprayed with the wing in situ, and I am hoping to undo the rear edge of the wing and insert a short section of piping to both prevent further paint cracks and hide the existing cracking.
How is the rear edge of the wing attached - I can only see a square panel that sits between inner and outer wing about a foot in front of the rear edge and behind the front wheel ?
I am also planning on fitting new door seals, but they are no longer for sale on David Beales EBay shop. Can anybody point me to a supplier of the correct profile ?
Many thanks,
Chris

terryfrombury

Re: Special Sports Front Wing Piping

Post by terryfrombury »

Testing my memory now, Chris!!
When I fitted the front wings I spent ages trying to determine if the piping went back as far as the door or stopped at the scuttle. I`m still not 100% certain either way, because like any coach built cars of the era, they varied so much. Many SS`s had a sort of little step in the top of the wing profile where the wing reaches the scuttle, and so it would mean that the piping would have to do a little bend in order to fill the gap you`re talking about. All of which leads me to believe that there should not be piping there.
That square panel to which you refer is only some form of splash guard. It actually bolts to the wing, not to any other part of the body. The rear of the front wing bolts to the reinforced A posts. You can`t see this from the door aperture because there is a small curved inset panel that forms part of the door aperture and also bolts to the A post, but from the other side to the wing. You can just about get to the nuts for this panel from inside the car through the gaps in the inside of the A posts.
On my car I fitted door seals that I think are from a TR6. They fitted perfectly into the channels.
I don`t know if this helps - seems too complicated when I read what I`ve written!! Please ask if I`ve not been clear.
Terry

Crossley Stephenson

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

Not sure what's correct, after all it is a Daimler, but here is a photo of mine.

Cheers
Michael
IMG_3219.JPG

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

That`s exactly like mine.
Terry :D

clevitt

Post by clevitt »

Many thanks both,
I've decided to leave it as it is: I just have to learn to live with not having the wings resprayed separately from the body :oops:
Good news about the door seals; I can now see them on David Beales EBay shop.
Love your colour scheme Michael, it's the same as mine ;)
Chris

Crossley Stephenson

Flattery will get you a long way Chris😉

Westminster Blue (Jaguar) over Silver Birch (Aston Martin - James Bond!)

Never fails to attract attention and multi-award winner at shows. Pretty much always wins the Ladies Choice😳

Cheers
Michael

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

"Pretty much always wins the ladies` choice", eh Michael??? I`ll bet the car does well also! :D

clevitt

Post by clevitt »

Could I broaden this post with more body related queries?
Firstly, I have annoying wind noise ( car rather than driver) coming from under the leading edge of the hood. Currently, the seal is a 3mm moulded sponge strip glued to the top of the windscreen frame, and I am considering gluing a second 3mm strip on top.
Secondly, has anybody fitted any kind of seal onto the top part of the quarterlight frame , where there is a sort of channel as I believe this may be contributing to the wind noise.
As always any advice or experience gratefully received.
Chris

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

I`m glad you clarified the source of the wind noise, Chris!!!
I think we get back to the, "There`s no right or wrong because it`s a Daimler" debate with this. However, I hope you`ll forgive me saying that there is no way that I would have stuck the foam seal to the top of the screen rather than to the underside of the front hood cross-piece. I have a piece of rubber seal which is probably 6 mm thick stuck to the hood, and then I have a flap across the front of that cross-piece so it overlaps the top of the screen. Hopefully I can upload a picture of that. Still doesn`t make it storm-proof, but I doubt if that is achievable.
You also ask about a seal on top of the quarter-light. Again, I think any seal should be on the hood-frame rather than the door, as I think you might find that opening and closing the door with the hood erected will very soon remove the seal. I have, all around the door aperture, attached seal to the wooden trim pieces which are in turn screwed to the two hood pieces around the window on each side of the car. I have actually used the same type of seal as the trim around the inside of the windscreen.
Hope this helps.
Terry
DSC_0271.JPG

Crossley Stephenson

Some photos of the arrangement on my SS. No leaks, but it's only been in the rain 3 times in 5 years.
Michael
IMG_3232.JPG
IMG_3234.JPG
IMG_3233.JPG