Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Interesting valve arrangement.

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Interesting valve arrangement.

Post by NickDeAth »

I'd like to know how this engine works!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Daimler-Engi ... rk:37:pf:0

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Interesting valve arrangement.

Post by New Dexter »

Unless I have missed something the head and block don't appear to be compatible. Firstly the block is set for a side valve/flathead arrangement and yet the valves in the head are for OHV.

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

That's what I thought was interesting, I was trying to figure out where the push rods go.

Nick

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

I notice the seller doesn't actually claim that the block and head are parts of the same engine..... ;) :(
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

if you look at the sellers other items on ebay you see they don’t confess to knowing much about engines which might explain the mismatch between block and head. they have some interesting items including another engine, gearbox and rear axle, all with very realistic opening bids. it would be good to identify these items.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/naebmaj/m.ht ... 7675.l2562

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

As you say Ranald some interesting stuff and at sensible starting prices, I am no expert but the engine gearbox must be useful to some one on here, looks to me like a 15 engine of one size or the other and that looks very like a Wilson gearbox of early vintage.

No doubt some one will correct me if I am wrong but if the engine goes at anything like the starting price it would surely be a good buy for some one, as long as it is not frosted.

If you have space for it and it is the right one for you car, where would you get another gearbox for that starting price? pity they are 200 miles away from me. Syd

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

I am reasonably certain that the block is not from a Daimler - I cannot recall any Daimler with a side valve engine

Rather the same applies to the head - I cannot recall a 6 cylinder Daimler with inclined ohv which implies hemispherical combustion chambers. The most likely candidate for the head is an Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire/Star Sapphire or possibly a 2.6 or 3 litre Humber from 1956 - 1967 ( these were closely related to the Sapphire engine )

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

I'm tempted to think the engine is later than Daimler 15. The things that make me think this are that it has 2 carburetors and the sump and rocker cover is similar to the Conquest Century. The additional water manifold and 6 bladed fan make me wonder if it was for somewhere warmer than Great Britain.

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

The post was very tongue in cheek, I just thought that's obviously someone who doesn't know what they're about advertising those parts as being from the same engine be it Daimler or any other.

Thank you Christopher Storey, I did start to wonder if Daimler ever made a side valve engine.

Nick