Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DB18 gearbox fail!

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Re: DB18 gearbox fail!

Post by grahamemmett »

It’s only my opinion though! eBay it and if there are two people out there wanting it you’ll get the best price.
Is it too late to try to find a second hand gearbox?
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

thomas@prags.co.uk

Post by thomas@prags.co.uk »

Getting similar vibes from David B. - while the engine was in running order when it came out, that was about 25 years ago? so it will need repair and a general rebuild. I will hang on to it unless someone is going to make a really good offer.
Given that this car is for regular use - for a few years yet I hope - I try to keep the running bits in good condition - i have no wish to keep a nice looking car in the garage under wraps!
t

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

Hate to say it, but I think you may be a little optimistic in thinking that the sale of the missus` Mini would cover the cost of the gearbox rebuild!

thomas@prags.co.uk

Post by thomas@prags.co.uk »

I am rather pleased that I have finally found a use for a collectors bottle of whisky I own - I think it is a sin to keep whisky unopened and untasted - but it turns out to be one of those that has collectors excited. It will provide the major contribution to the smooth running gearbox.

mschipani

Post by mschipani »

Hi! I need a little advice on the gear pedal in my 53 Conquest. I had the entire power unit out of the car for a overhaul and as such I disconnected the pedal linkage. I've now reattached it and want to know what kind of adjustments I might make here and how to do it. There is nothing on adjusting this in the workshop manual which leaves me a bit puzzled. If anyone could point me in the proper direction I would appreciate the help.

Thanks!
thomas@prags.co.uk wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:19 pm Many thanks. I asked John Mackintosh, who looks after the mechanical bits of the car when he has time, to diagnose the problem and he seems convinced its not an adjustment issue, but I will check why he thinks so before I do anything drastic!
thanks for the tip about the pedal adjustment.

thomas with fingers crossed.

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Hi
I have found the Daimler official way of setting the selector rods.
Go to
https://www.db18.org/db18-document-store
scroll down the Repairs Document List until you see
Fluid Flywheel and Epicyclic Gearbox Manual
(it's the last document)
Double click and it will open, once open you can download it.
The very last page shows you how to do it.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)