Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DB18 gearbox fail!

Hamish Dickie

Re: DB18 gearbox fail!

Post by Hamish Dickie »

Hi Thom give me a ring on 07554421952 and I'll try to help as I have DB18 gearbox parts. I'm in your country (Glasgow) and we must get your DB18 DHC ready for the 2019 International

Best wishes
Hamish

Barrie

Post by Barrie »

Phew!
Thanks.
It would have been a shame to loose such an informative site.

thomas@prags.co.uk

Post by thomas@prags.co.uk »

Hamish - thanks! I need to try and get hold of John M first to find out in a bit more detail why he thinks its done in!

Havent been to a Club Rally since Sudely Castle in 1978!! Anstruther was on the cards a few years ago but something came up. where is it next year?
t

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Peebles! And we want you there 😃
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

thomas@prags.co.uk

Peebles is nice... maybe I will break the habit of half a lifetime? My old friend is definitely NOT a show car - I have taken to describing it as a second hand car kept in decent useable condition. 'largely original' is another euphemism. curiously the contact ads etc in the DM don't give the date - presumably a weekend in June?

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

thomas@prags.co.uk wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:42 am curiously the contact ads etc in the DM don't give the date - presumably a weekend in June?
2nd to 9th June 2019 according to fossil's topic viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3853
Events calendar viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2766&p=15489#p15489

thomas@prags.co.uk

Many thanks for the advice last year. Decision taken as one of the 'bands' in the box had sheared - no option but to get the whole thing refurbished . It is now out of the car (not by me) and will depart soon. Which leaves me with a large bill - by far the largest in all the 45 years I have owned and run the old thing - including replacing the original engine some 20 years ago. However I still have the original engine which I kept 'in case'. It was running when removed but had a small crack in the block. It has sat in my garage ever since. Presumably it is worth a bit to someone - any ideas?

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Re: DB18 gearbox fail

Post by grahamemmett »

Sorry to hear it’s gone for refurbishment. A second mortgage will be necessary

What’s the engine worth? Sorry to say but unless somebody really NEEDS an engine to refurbish I think it will sit around for a good while. I’m about to do a newsletter to the DB18 community so I’ll include it if that helps.
Northwich, Cheshire

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

By coincidence tonight’s Car SOS is showing how to stitch a cracked block.
Northwich, Cheshire

thomas@prags.co.uk

Graham - ah well - there was me thinking it might be worth a bit to help pay for the gearbox repair!

I'll find something else in the garage to flog - maybe the wifes newish mini?