Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler Conquest Century DHC alarming noise!

Skinnerpot

Daimler Conquest Century DHC alarming noise!

Post by Skinnerpot »

Hi, I am new to the club and a very proud new owner of a Daimler Conquest Century Convertible and was after a bit of advice?

The car has been sat for 10+ years but is remarkably very free and has been stored dry. With some fresh fuel and the usual things checked the engine took very little encouragement to fire back into life.

My issue is that while the engine seems to run beautifully and have good oil pressure there is a worrying knock from the rear of the engine/gearbox. When you select a gear (Wilson Pre-Select) the noise completely goes away. As soon as it goes back to neutral the noise is back and the 'clutch' pedal does seem to wobble about. So my question is, is there anything I should look at first? It sounds like the fluid flywheel is loose or something along those lines? Is there anything common I should look out for?

Kind Regards
Andy
An age when roads were empty, machines were simple and every journey was an adventure!

Daimler Conquest DHC (DJ252), Morris Minor, Ford Model T, Vandem Plas 1500, Reliant Drag Race Car, Nelson Steam Car, 4.5" Foden Steam Wagon

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Daimler Conquest Century DHC alarming noise!

Post by Phillmore »

Have you checked all your fluid levels (fluid flywheel, gearbox etc)?

Is it a regular knock consistent with engine speed?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

bakergh

Post by bakergh »

Hi Andy
I would first check the gearbox mounting metalastic and ensure that the gearbox is not hitting anything like the floor or exhaust when the engine is ticking over.
If nothing is apparent check for crankshaft end float. This can be done from underneath pulling and pushing the cranshaft pulley/damper.
If end float is apparent it may be the thrust washers are very worn or have dropped out due to the crankshaft damper having been removed at some time.
When load is put on by the selection of a gear the crankshaft will tend to stay either forwards or backwards thereby eliminating the knock.

All the best
Graham

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

As always when cars are laid up there is a reason.

Some times old age or illness, loss of driving licence etc can mean a treasured motor is mothballed, but often a problem will arise and the car is laid up until either the money or the time to repair comes along.

From my very limited knowledge of the Wilson gearbox, it does sound like low/wrong oil in the gearbox. Personally after 20 years standing I would drain and fill the gearbox, (change the oil filter) engine and back axle with fresh oil regardless

I presume from your italics Andy that you know the third pedal is not a clutch, my selector pedal is also very floppy but it works fine. One of those roundtoit jobs. Syd

Skinnerpot

Post by Skinnerpot »

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all the responses. Tonight I will check the gearbox & engine mounts, check for end float and also check the fluid levels in the fluid flywheel and gearbox.

Interestingly Syd, the car was laid up due to a gearbox issue, the original owners said that they first lost 1st gear, then lost 2nd on the last trip it did. I had put this down to probably the linkage being worn/wrong, but after starting the car up the other day, it selected all gears perfectly and was willing to move.

Ill check the items above tonight and report back. Here is hoping its something simple.

Andy
An age when roads were empty, machines were simple and every journey was an adventure!

Daimler Conquest DHC (DJ252), Morris Minor, Ford Model T, Vandem Plas 1500, Reliant Drag Race Car, Nelson Steam Car, 4.5" Foden Steam Wagon

Skinnerpot

Post by Skinnerpot »

Hi All,

Thank you for your help so far...

I checked the fluid flywheel level and it was perfect and clean, can't feel any end float on the crank but can't check the gearbox yet. All mounts look good and exhaust is clear from the bodywork.

I have done a short video of the noise, when you watch the video the first part is in neutral idling then elevated revs, then it going into 1st, elevating the revs, and then back to neutral.

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

I think stop engine it should whine on tickover there is a problem that can only be mechanical wear or broken,could be in the fluid flywheel or the box.
Might be the driven plate in the flywheel but only a guess and you would be lucky , if mine i think remove box and look further could drain oil to see if any metal show's .first.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

It's a thousand-to-one shot - but check the torque reaction rubber buffers. Go to the engine back-plate and on the nearside you will see a projection sandwiched between two conical rubber buffers. These need to be in good order, and clamped tight.

However (minutes silence) I note the "shake" in the bell housing at tick-over in neutral, but which disappears when 1st gear is selected.

This points to a failed bearing in the gearbox, which gains suport when the gear-cluster is held by the relevant brake band - so it might be the large ball race on the first motion shaft.

Could you repeat the test you videoed, but with top gear selected - which does not operate via the brake bands, but has a multi-plate clutch, which when engaged, puts a forward thrust on the bearing, so any change in sound or movement might tell us sumat (sumat being the Brummie word for "something").

Let us know what you observe.

Regards,

Stan.

Skinnerpot

Post by Skinnerpot »

Excellent! Thank you Stan, I will check tonight and report back!

Really hoping I don't have to take the box out.

Skinnerpot

Post by Skinnerpot »

Hi Stan, the wobble from the bell housing is from a slight missfire at idle. (Engine was cold and has been sleeping for years!).

Torque rubbers seemed to allow a fair bit of movement but the rubber was all in good shape and didn't seem to be the knocking noise.

When in 4th the noise is not there. So the noise is only apparent when in neutral. Even in reverse it's quiet.